Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool ET22DMXBW00 Fridge not cooling

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Strathy

Strathy

Head Wrench

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

There does not look to be anything wrong with the sealed system (coils where the gas runs) on your fridge. That evaporator looks fine. The first picture you posted showed some old ice. I suspect an air flow problem. Is that fan at the back turning properly .... I mean really pushing the air? Close the evaporator back up and close the freezer door. Open the fridge door - at the back centre you should see an air duct - with the freezer door shut - do you feel any air coming in there at all?
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Miller Lite

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Strathy you are correct. There is no air blowing through that center fridge duct though that freezer fan is blowing it around the freezer. What's my next step now?

#23 Strathy

Strathy

Head Wrench

• PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Either the air duct going from the freezer to the fridge section is blocked with something (i.e. ice) or the fan in the freezer is not turning or not turning fast enough. Check the fan first. Is it turning? Can you really feel air being pushed in the freezer?

#24 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Yes I actually observed the fan spinning yesterday, and I can feel it behind the wall. I'm guessing I have to get the floor of the freezer up and look underneath? Since the floor of the freezer goes under the front and sidewalls, does it just bend and pop up? (I ask before I start prying at it.

Given the fact I found sand in the POS ice maker, there could be anything under there.

Edited by wireyourworld, 24 July 2012 - 07:58 AM.

#25 Strathy

Strathy

Head Wrench

• PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

I don't remember the configuration of your model, but I don't think you should have to pull the floor. The airduct should go from the fan area down to the fresh food section. There should be a main air duct and a couple of return air ducts coming back up into the freezer section. Maybe one of the other guys here has a picture or remembers how that one comes apart.

#26 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

I got it off and took the back off again, yes the fan is working though the air flow doesn't seem that strong but I have nothing to base the opinion on. There was nothing blocking what I think were the air ducts, there is about a 4" x 1/2" slot under the insulation just in front of the evaporator on both the right and left sides. There was nothing blocking them on top, deeper I couldn't tell. I had turned the freezer down last night and it was not as cold in there today, though the ice cubes had froze so I guess it was cold enough. I put it all back together and still no breeze like there used to be in the fridge just a slight one.

#27 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Inside of the freezer , floor separator...is there two screws near the front that will hold the separator in place, remove the fasteners lift up and pull out...IF no fasteners, floor stays........... worked on a few of these unit...good basic machines........Check the fans rotation, spins freely ????? or does it drag a bit............How long did the unit sit turned off????........days?? hours ??? Straty may be correct on the floor not being removable, but some times us techs see so many refers, that untill you set your eyes on them......The frost pattern looks suspicious, it looks good but look at the heat exchanger, frost on the return line........Check the compressor, did some one work on this?? is there access ports on the compressor???.............Slight over charge....

#28 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Below is the frost pattern when I opened it up this morning. There were no screws under the floor, the floor did just pop right out. But underneath is a solid piece of styrofoam that doens't look like its supposed to move, no screws. I can only feel the air ports with my fingertips if I hook them right underneath the evaporator, and they were clear. The fan seems to spin freely. I'm sure someone has worked on it in the past but who and what they did I have no idea. We've only had it about 6 months and it was good up until a couple of weeks ago.

Edited to add, it hasn't been off for long as I have been working on it, its been on for months here with no trouble until recently. Your questions about the compressor access ports I don't understand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by wireyourworld, 24 July 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#29 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

The air duct to the refrig is the approx. 4" wide port directly behind the fan.

Turn the power off and remove the fan motor. Put a pan under the air diffuser area in the refrig area and then with a turkey baster run hot water down that channel directly behind the fan, (1/4" water line makes a good probe to slide down and try to break up any ice in that area as you're flowing the hot water down the channel).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#30 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

Ah ha! Thank you so much for that. I will do that in the next few days, actually have to focus on work until saturday since I lost alot of time on the fridge so far..

Actually went to lowes last night and they gave me enough credit to buy this http://www.lowes.com...1&rpp=16��which was the floor model, discontinued and I got it for $600 less than advertised on the site. Also got the extended service plan in case I bought a lemon. Now I just have to pay for it in under 6 months. Still surprised I got credit, I guess going without, working 2 jobs and making a little extra money selling online, fixing my appliances and vehicles using wonderful online forums and youtube to save money and pay all my bills on time since the recession started, has paid off. I guess if had really paid off I'd have $1500 cash on hand but lets not ask too much right? :-)

I do want to get the garage fridge running again so I definitely be trying to clear that back duct, it has been a great garage fridge.

Oh and I did actually have a refrigerator thermometer in my hands last night to buy, and set it down and forgot to buy it. Sigh.

Edited by wireyourworld, 25 July 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#31 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Well I decided (since I can now take off and put back on that backwall pretty quickly) to give it a go this morning. No luck. I didn't have to remove the fan to get the turkey baster back there. The hot water flowed pretty freely, I think some ice may have fallen but it didn't help the air flow at all. The dial that moves that flap in the duct for the freezer works fine, but I don't see anything move when I turn the refrigerator dial. What exactly does that control? The evaporator showed normal frost by the way.

#32 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

Oh and yesterday I made sure the coils were spotless, and the compressor and fan are running and the compressor is hot to the touch but not too hot and not too cold.

#33 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

... The evaporator showed normal frost

evenly, completely, lightly frosted ?

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#34 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Yes.

#35 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Ok the freezer is at 10 degrees, I'm guessing thats far too cold. Just thought I'd pop in and mention it before I go take the back wall off and see if I have something I can stick down that vent below the fan.

#36 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Fridge should be about 40F
Freezer should be at about 0F
(depends how hard you like your ice cream)

#37 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Well there is definitely nothing blocking that duct, I was able to run a water line from the bottom all the way up. Maybe I need a new fan? It spins but maybe its not forcing enough air down?

#38 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

all of the panels must be in place ..

#39 wireyourworld

wireyourworld

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Yes I fully put everything back together before I checked to see if what I did helped, it didn't. Just holding my hand behind the fan while it was on, it didn't feel very strong. Then I put it all back together, just a very very almost can't tell its there breeze from the duct.

Posted Imageagain.

This was the frost pattern when I opened it earlier...

Edited by wireyourworld, 25 July 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#40 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm not sure about that frost pattern ..
frost build-up may be from bad Door Gaskets / alignment
Button everything back up and check Fridge Freezer temps after 24 hours ..
(takes that long for temperatures to stabilize)
http://fixitnow.com/...-frost-pattern/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics