Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Top Loader Washer (Model A7400)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maytag killa

maytag killa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:47 PM

A couple of months back, my wife noticed that sometimes the washer would not automatically start into the wash cycle even though the lid was down.  At first, she could just lift the lid, then shut it again, and it would start up.  Over time however, this has been increasingly harder to get to start up.  A simple lid left has turned into slamming it down like a gong a few dozen times.  Today I decided to try to figure it out... thinking it must be a loose wire, or a bad lid switch.  After having cleaned every terminal I could, it seems that I have fully killed off whatever has been giving us the trouble... it won't start now at all... no matter how violent you get with the lid.  Any thoughts? 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:35 PM

You might just have a bad lid switch (sold as an assembly, Fuse, cherry & micro switches). Is your fuse blown?(usually a sign of a sticking micro switch) Do you have a volt meter we can do a few cks with? Also will the unit still fill?? If you have a meter, L1 comes out of the timer, to the cherry switch, out of the cherry switch to the micro-switch and out of the micro switch on terminal M (raised letter on the black bake-o-lite bracket assembly) for motor when the lid is closed!
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:27 PM

Also, the lid switch assembly has a little adjustment from front to back - it may be possible to slide it a little further forward to compensate for any wear in the actuator, if that's the issue. Like Trying says, check the fuse and the switches first.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 ryan_975

ryan_975

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:02 AM

Also check to make sure there's no soap/dirt/crap built up around the switch.  My dad had a similar model and after so many years it started acting the same way, including the slamming lid syndrome.  I got to looking at it and noticed that around the swtich was a gummy buildup from soap and moisture. I clean it out real good and the problem went away. That was a few years ago and the washer still works fine.

#5 maytag killa

maytag killa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:46 AM

Thanks everyone!

A bad lid micro switch it is...  I traced current out of the timer, through the cherry switch, and into the micro switch... but that's where it dropped out.

Got a new switch and we're up and running again (no more gong lessons for my wife).

Thanks again for the help!

#6 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:06 PM

gotto luv those older units
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics