Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How do you handle this??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:37 AM

Saturday one of my techs ran a call on a wall oven. We were out there a week earlier to replace a window package that had split. As my tech was replacing the package, the consumer asked if her husband could clean the front black glass. My tech told her he would do it all prior to leaving and she said no, my husband will do it. Her husband picked it up, took two steps and dropped it onto the sinks edge shattering it. My tech called me and asked what we should do. I offered the glass at my price and half labor to install it like we were working on a second product. Husband was 100% fine with that. Part comes in, we schedule service and the wife states they should not pay because the tech broke it. I reminded her that I spoke to her husband within minutes of it happening and that was not the story I was given by him. I advised if she was not happy with what I was willing to do she could call around to find someone cheaper or come pic the glass up and do it herself. She decided to call around. She then called back 4 hours later and scheduled agreeing to the original terms. Needless to say, we run the call, as always with my techs we do a 1/2 call ahead to confirm arrival and to ask about payment method, she states check and we go. Tech completes the repair, and is cleaning all the marks off prior to popping it back on and tells her the cost. She counters with, I am not paying you a thing, get out of my home before I call the cops. Tech calls me and asks what he should do, the woman is screaming bloody murder in the background about suing, calling the cops, get out, and will not speak to me. Tech asks me, boss, want me to take the door with me? I oh so wanted to say yes but instructed him to place it back on the oven for safety reasons and I will go over there on Monday to talk to the husband. I am sure I will get paid and keep my companies reputation intact. He has seemed very reasonable in prior conversations. The old day's, no problem, I am disassembling the door while she screams and I take my part with me. These days, little different scenario. How are you handling similar scenarios? Calling the cops? Taking your part out while she calls the cops or hits you with a broom and screams??
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,870 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:18 AM

Dayyam, I feel like a wuss now for complaining about some of the cheesedorks I've had to deal with! I've never had anything like this probably because my procedure prevents it. Anytime I need to order a part to complete a job, I collect a $100 down payment which is credited toward the final bill. My reason for implementing this was to prevent people from "changing their mind," leaving me with a part to either stock or return, and not getting paid diddly for the first trip out there (I don't charge a trip charge or service call fee, so would not get paid anything otherwise).

If I were already in the situation you're in, where I'm out the part and the repair fee, I wouldn't even bother pursuing it in small claims court-- done that and it's a colossal waste of time; court is about who lies the best, not about who's telling the truth. And this woman sounds like she has a mental disorder, these people are very compelling to judges sitting there diddling themselves under their robes.

What I would do is post a great story about her on my website, complete with name, phone number, and address. If she wanted to come after me for libel, the burden of proof is on her, and something is only libelous if it's NOT true. If you have a personal blog, and I strongly encourage you have one, you could post it there. You could write the blog under a pseudonym to protect your identity and employer.

And one other thing: stop scheduling service calls in trailer parks!

#3 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:21 AM

We charge one rate for diagnostics and trip. Whether we are there one minute or 90, similar to what you do. If parts are needed, consumer must pay for the trip and diagnostic charge at that time or we will not order the part. This way if they change there mind we are safe. Since we had already collected 132.95 (our labor/trip) charge + the cost of the window package, we went ahead and ordered the part and agreed to collect for part and half labor on the return. I have a feeling the husband will pay once I talk to him. But you are right, I will not take to small claims or follow up. Just mark the name off and wait for them to call back after dealing with some of the local sharks that work this area. As far as the trailer park, this was upscale Alpharetta, double wall oven in a ritzy area! Not the trailer ridden Conyers section!!
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,870 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:53 AM

[user=4044]Trying to help[/user] wrote:

As far as the trailer park, this was upscale Alpharetta, double wall oven in a ritzy area! Not the trailer ridden Conyers section!!

That confirms that she definitely has a mental problem. I've dealt with customers like that, some schizophrenia going on, not in touch with the same reality that the rest of share. She's also probably a very unhappy person-- people at peace with themselves do not behave that way. Either way, it's a losing situation for you and any other servicer who steps foot inside that house. :poison:

Let me know how it goes with hubby, I'm really interested in how this turns out!

#5 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:11 PM

Well the husband paid up for labor and parts as agreed in my first conversation with him. He was very apologetic and down right embarrassed about the whole situation and his wife. He had hoped to be home by the time my tech got there to deal with him, and his wife. He has assured me if we ever go back, he will be there! The phone number is already flagged. Will not subject myself or one of my techs to that again. Let him use the 5$ off your next appliance repair fleecing coupon in the local coupon book.

#6 WAB

WAB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:18 AM

Wow, pleased to hear that the Husband stepped up and paid the bill!  You have to understand that we (the public) do not trust you repair guys! 

Seems like you guys always charge too much and the repair is really simple, damn could of done it ourselves if you would only have told us what to do!

Even if you are a Yankee Fan, and not welcome around New England, you certainly provided me with free assistance...........!

#7 Deesea

Deesea

Unsui

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

Of coarse the repair is something simple for someone who knows what they are doin.  And besides, You arent paying for just a part... your paying for someone elses expertice, and to run a buisiness.

#8 WAB

WAB

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:38 AM

Was only joking about the repair guy!  I am infront of customers daily wanting to know why I couldn't just tell them over the phone........

#9 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:06 PM

well as for me all orders require a deposit and that consist of the trip charge and the full cost of the part and if paying by check no part untill the check clears  i have a drawer full of NSF AND CLOSED account checks and these are people who will wait years and call me for service again , not knowing they are about pay for both repairs anyway plus intrest , i won`t even tell them whats wrong untill i am paid in full , i can guess they have been through all the other service CO`s and now back to me .
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics