Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
sjh

Plastic Water Lines on Kenmore Refrigerator Ice Maker

4 posts in this topic

:dude:  I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator that I purchased about 5 years ago.  It works very well; I don't have a problem with it.  My question is this:

The water supply lines for the ice maker are plastic and being accustomed to having copper lines I wonder about the durability of the plastic, its longevity.  I'm concerned about the potential for having a flood in our kitchen.  Do these lines deteriorate?  As repairmen, can you speak about your experience with them?  Is this some thing that I need to be concerned about?   Thanks....

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

To my knowledge all of the lines to the ice maker and the water thru the door are plastic.  We have not seen any problems with them except on the ones that run close to the compressor, on some brands, and then they will turn brittle and fail.  Look to see if they are close or touching the compressor or any hot copper lines.  If they are,  insulate the plastic lines and move them away from the heat source.  Kenmore is a private label and could be made by Whirlpool, Frigidaire, G.E., or Amana.  Without the model number we do not know who Sears sourced this Ref. from.

I looked up the model number.  It's a Kenmore model # 10657077790 and the date of manufacture is 6/97.  Is this a model that has plastic tubing running too close to warm components?  Thanks...:?

That is a Whirlpool frig. and we have not seen any problems with the plastic lines.  Remember all brands have plastic lines, none are copper. If this concerns you try to move the lines away from the compressor and insulate them with something heat resistant.