Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub-zero 690F Icemaker auger won't stop turning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shal

Shal

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Oatmeal stout

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

We returned from a 12-day road trip to the sound of the ice-maker auger motor running. Investigating I found ice frozen in the exit chute, the bin full of ice, and the auger had unseated itself from its bearings, allowing the motor to spin freely without turning the auger.

The motor did stop when I pulled the ice bucket forward and out of the freezer, so at least the switch that detects the bucket is still working. But pushing the bucket back into position causes the auger to spin again. The Ice switch on the door is not at fault, as the light operates normally, as does the solenoid that opens the flap in the chute. The Bulk Ice switch inside the refrigerator compartment could be shorted, or not, I haven't divined a simple way to check it.

After clearing out all the ice I was able to reassemble the auger, so that's all good.

Now the question is: what next? Is there something to check within the ice-maker, or is it more likely the electronics board behind the button/display panel?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Shal

Shal

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

Ok, after squinting my aging eyes at the 600-1 Addndm & Parts.pdf found in the pot-luck supper, it looks like either (1) the ice dispensing control board (in the door, probably, near the ice-door solenoid, or (2) the main control board may power the auger circuit. I should go confirm that by squinting instead at the diagrams taped up near the compressor.

Murphy says it is the more expensive and or difficult to obtain one of the two. So the easy(?) test is to unplug the ice dispensing control board and see if the auger still runs. If it does that proves that there's a stuck/dead relay on the main control board.

Now what I need is a mechanical drawing showing me how to access those two boards.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

as mentioned in the "just uploaded"
600 Series
Prior to Serial #1810000
Technical Service Manual
(no parts diagrams)
134 pages

Ice Auger Motor Assembly Access and Removal (Model 690)
The ice auger motor assembly is attached to the rear wall, directly behind the ice bucket assembly.
To access and remove the ice auger motor assembly, the juice can rack, and ice bucket will need to be removed first.
Now, extract the four screws securing the ice auger motor assembly to the rear wall.
Then, disconnect the auger motor and ice bucket switch electrical leads and pull assembly out. (See Figure 7-53)
http://appliantology...serial-1810000/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Shal

Shal

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Thank you Sensei!

This should allow me to disconnect the brown (auger drive) wire from the control board. If that cures the problem then I know I need to repair or replace the control board. Or just live without the convenience of the Bulk Ice button...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics