Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

a general defrost question

um...dont have the model #

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cuzzin sam

cuzzin sam

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

I unfortunately don't have the model # for this GE side by side but I'm hoping someone can shed a little light anyway.
I first went to this call and found the evap frozen and the defrost heater burned out. I replaced the hearer, defrosted and left only to be called back a few days to find the evap frozen again. The heater and the termination thermostat both read closed so as an experiment I jumped around the thermostat, defrosted and left.
A couple of days later it was frozen again so thru a process of elimination I decided it had to be the board...which I changed...and of course it's frozen again. This parts changing idjiit is getting tired.
Does the board send the unit into defrost based on time or is there a thermister or something that tells the board when to initiate a defrost cycle? If I jump the terminals on the board (I read that here last night) am I simply supplying voltage to the defrost circuit or am I closing the defrost relay on the board? And the big question, has anyone ever seen someone change so many parts with no appearent idea of what he's dong? Thanks for the desperately needed help, Sam

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

... or is there a thermistor or something that tells the board when to initiate a defrost cycle?

yes ,. when to terminate the Defrost
The Control Boards usually have a test for ther Thermistors and the Defrost Cycle
Freezer may have (2) of these
Fridge may have (3)
click on picture
Thermistor-WR55X10025-00855831.jpg

the "older" style were prone for failure
http://fixitnow.com/...ed-thermistors/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

No, the board decides when to initiate defrost based on door openings, and other factors. The evaporator thermistor tells the board when to terminate the defrost; the board terminates defrost when the thermistor reads 75F. Now, suppose the thermistor's resistance was such that the board always thought it was 75F, what would happen? Answer: the board would never initiate defrost because it thought the evaporator was already too warm.

Check the thermistor resistance by placing it in a glass of ice maker. Should get about 16 K-ohms. If it's one of the old style, it needs to be replaced in any event.

Thermistor part link ==> http://www.repaircli...55X10025/914093

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics