Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Electrolux Dishwasher EWDW6505GS0 Error Code 01

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kenmoronin

Kenmoronin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:New Belgium Somersault

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi, all:

Bought a new house (to us) and the above dishwasher conveyed from the previous owners.

After a little reading on the interwebs, it seems like moving in to discover this unit under your counter is sort of like the Amityville Horror of appliances.

It's never cleaned the dishes particularly well, even set on high temp and high pressure, but this morning it threw the 01 code which is water under the tub. With my ultracool Apprentice powers, I've downloaded the service manual from here:
http://appliantology...lux-dishwasher/

Now what?! I can't find a troubleshooting procedure for that code.

I patiently await wisdom from the ancients...

I buy all my appliance parts right here with a one-year return policy! 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

There is no troubleshooting procedure for this error code. Since the whole area underneath the tub of the dishwasher is completely enclosed, the only way you find out what's leaking is to run the dishwasher, then totally disconnect it (electricity and plumbing) and completely remove it from under the counter, lay it down on on the floor on it's back and remove all the access panels underneath it and follow the watermarks.

Electrolux has had lots of issues with these dishwashers leaking and if you call Electrolux and complain, they might send you a "leak repair kit" free of charge.

http://www.emaservic...The_Control.pdf

I just noticed, this kit has to be installed by an Authorized Electrolux service technician, it is NOT for the customer to install. It's pretty pricey, so you have to ask yourself if the dishwasher is worth the price of the repair.

If this dishwasher were mine, I would get rid of it and install a Kitchen Aid or Whirlpool dishwasher. No way would I have this dishwasher in my house.

http://www.repaircli...4825501/1793279

Edited by Scottthewolf, 30 July 2012 - 07:28 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

from the Use & Care Guide
154671101en.pdf
DISHWASHER LEAKS
• Use only fresh detergent designed for automatic dishwashers.
Measure detergent carefully. Try a different brand.
• Spilled rinse aid can cause foam and lead to overflowing.
Wipe up any spills with a damp cloth.
• Check to see that dishwasher is level.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Kenmoronin

Kenmoronin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks, guys!

Scott: Lo and behold I've got a three-hole float cap! Maybe a kit was installed? Serial is TH833xxxxx so it was definitely subject to needing a kit...
RegUS: I've got the Use & Care guide in my lap! Problem occurred because of a blocked drain. But I'm wondering how to fix it; avoiding it I've got figured out! :thumbsup:

Guess I'm pulling it out of the counter to check. Ugh!

#5 Kenmoronin

Kenmoronin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

This keeps getting more interesting.

Looks like the previous owner laid a laminate floor AFTER the dishwasher was installed. Consequently the washer sits about 1/2" lower than the floor, and I don't have the clearance to get it out.

Just, "Wow!"

#6 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

I run into this quite a bit. You'll need a ratchet wrench, a 3/16" head and a 5mm head. You'll also want a small bubble level.

Get the front kick plate off. Take any cabinet mounting screws out. Get the ratchet and find which head fits the top of the front leveling legs the best. Turn the legs counter clock wise until you've sunk the front down about 3/4" - 1". That should give you enough room to "massage" and wiggle the unit out of the hole. I don't know if this model has leveling legs in the rear or wheels. If you have to lower the rear legs, be prepared to cuss; it's really tedious, because you usually only have room to turn the wrench about 1/8 of a turn.

Once you are ready to reinstall, put the unit back like it was. This is where the level comes in. Your dishwasher must be square and level in the hole. Sides must be straight up and down, and most importantly, the bottom of your door has to be exactly horizontal, as does the bottom of the frame. If you don't have those legs right, you can get a bunch of tilting and the water will come out where the door isn't level.

#7 Kenmoronin

Kenmoronin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thanks, Dan, but the front legs are bottomed out, i.e., flush with the bottom of the cabinet. I think I'm stuck.

Plan now is to disassemble as much as I can of the inside, shop vac the heck of it, let a box fan run in there overnight and hope I can suck/evaporate the problem away...

Stay tuned. Gotta go get a Torx screwdriver from Sears--my fold out set isn't long enough to reach down to the vertical filter screws...

#8 Kenmoronin

Kenmoronin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

The problem seems to be solved. Here are the steps I took:
  • Turn power off at the breaker.
  • Remove racks.
  • Remove lower spray arm, fine mesh filter, vertical filter, stainless steel filter, and lower spray arm support according to service manual instructions (link above).
  • Remove all standing water with rag, sponge, shop-vac, etc.
  • Run a fan inside cabinet overnight. I used one that I was able to aim directly at the cabinet bottom (see below).
  • Reinstall all parts.
  • Restore power.
01 error code had cleared and unit runs as before, i.e., doesn't get dishes terribly clean!

I think this type of fan is best for this application:
Posted Image

And thanks for all the advice, folks!

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Last one of these kits I installed it leaked so bad the food from the dirty dishes leaked onto the floor also. You probably still have a leak somewhere.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 01 August 2012 - 10:06 PM.

Scott Wolf

#10 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

We were doing a lot of these for a while... that motor has a "hall sensor" on it that will go bad in time. If you read this Ken, I'd get together with a really good carpenter or flooring person and figure out a solution for getting that dishwasher out. If you live in that house for a good long time that will eventually be a necessity.

#11 Kenmoronin

Kenmoronin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks, guys. I will take your advice. This thing sounds like a time bomb, not to mention the fact that it doesn't work very well when it IS in operating condition.

What a lemon!

If this dishwasher were mine, I would get rid of it and install a Kitchen Aid or Whirlpool dishwasher. No way would I have this dishwasher in my house.

If you read this Ken, I'd get together with a really good carpenter or flooring person and figure out a solution for getting that dishwasher out. If you live in that house for a good long time that will eventually be a necessity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics