Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Got my butt kicked by a JenAir JDB1105AWS

door seal leaks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Does anyone else ever have one of those days when the complicated stuff is easy and the simple stuff is crazy hard?

I got my butt kicked hard today by what should have been an easy 15 minute job -- replacing the door seal on a Jen Air dishwasher.

Original call was a complaint of dripping water on the right side. Door seal was mangled where it hits the floor of the tub on the right hand side.

I order a new door seal and think "this should be easypeasy."

Wrong!

If you look at the photo for part number 99003337, you'll see that the seal has a tab on each end.

In the frame itself, the metal lip comes all the way down to the tub.

The "extra" rubber of the seal is supposed to fold out and get down on the bottom of the tub. Instead, it acted as a spring and pushed the seal out of the channel.

I could not get this thing into its channel in a way that didn't leak.

Anyone have ideas on this?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

These have a front and a back to them. Perhaps you installed the seal backwards.
Scott Wolf

#3 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, I had that thought, but I tried it each way. One way definitely "looked" better but neither way got past the problem of getting the tabs on the tub floor. I assume I should not cut them off.

Since I wrestled with this thing for so long, should I order another? Is there a decent chance I stretched it out too far?

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Maybe so, it won't hurt.
Scott Wolf

#5 hoptoad

hoptoad

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hey Dan...did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem with a Jenn Air JDB1090AWB, same type of seal. Another repair tech installed it, it leaks, and I'm not sure which way is front to back, except as you stated...one way looks better. Thanks!

#6 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

I was actually back on out on this one today installing some door hinges. The part of the seal that looks like it would fit neatly into a channel by itself is what goes in the groove. Since it isn't by itself, it takes a bit of squeezing and working.

#7 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hey Dan...did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem with a Jenn Air JDB1090AWB, same type of seal. Another repair tech installed it, it leaks, and I'm not sure which way is front to back, except as you stated...one way looks better. Thanks!

Follow up: had to get a senior tech out with me on this. The key is that the gasket should look like a bellows. When the gasket is properly installed, it has a lip, then a "puffy" bit, then the gasket fits into the groove from there.

I realized I should have taken pictures after I left, but the bottom line is that if the gasket is fitting neatly on the metal groove in a way that looks "right", it's not quite right.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

Did you happen to snap any pictures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics