Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore/Whirlpool dishwasher keeps coming back

Kenmore Whirlpool dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 appliancesos

appliancesos

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Rickards Red

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I've been working on a Kenmore/Whirlpool dishwasher (Mod. # 665.13842K603) that was completely dead. Power (both hot and neutral) were good to the dishwasher. Door switches checked out fine as did the thermal fuse. The heater circuit also was good. Having checked all of the above, I ordered a Control Board which proved to NOT be the problem. I then ordered the touchpad and console and upon installing it. the dishwasher finally did work. This was about three weeks ago. However, today I received a call from the customer saying that the dishwasher was again completely dead. Any ideas/suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Sonic

Sonic

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Alexander Kieths

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

If you split the door but leave the door latch on and in the closed position, do you have voltage to the control board?

#3 appliancesos

appliancesos

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

Yes. Both hot and neutral are good to the board with the door latch in the closed position.

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

However, today I received a call from the customer saying that the dishwasher was again completely dead. Any ideas/suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Maybe you already checked this, but anytime you disturb the control board and/or console, the thermal bi-metal/fuse seems to blow shortly there-after... maybe from loose disturbed connections...
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#5 appliancesos

appliancesos

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

Going back to the customer's shortly. I will check that and let you know.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

If the Thermal Fuse has ever blown, the entire "kit" would need to be installed.
not just to replace the Fuse.
http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1549751

Thermal-Fuse-W10258275-01333491.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Yamabushi

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

I have had these touchpads go bad on me before, just had one that I replaced under warranty a couple months ago. I think it lasted, oh wait I am computerized now lemme check. . . . about 6 weeks once installed.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

#8 appliancesos

appliancesos

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input and help. Turns out the thermal fuse had blown. Customer is happy again and so am I.

Have a great weekend.

#9 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

:rocker:
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#10 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Maybe you already checked this, but anytime you disturb the control board and/or console, the thermal bi-metal/fuse seems to blow shortly there-after... maybe from loose disturbed connections...

Will second this observation....replaced a keypad on a Maytag MDB-series unit one month ago and the thermal fuse(well, it's not really a thermal fuse, but that's a different discussion) cut off a couple of days ago. No visible signs of overheating in wiring harness or on control board. 

SD

#11 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

I swear,I think those fuses blow at about 80 degrees F.

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

BTW, What in the hell is Whirlpool trying to accomplish with the tiny little screw wire connectors in the replacement thermal fuse kits? I always throw them away and use butt connectors and make sure they are crimped really tight.

Scott Wolf

#13 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

BTW, What in the hell is Whirlpool trying to accomplish with the tiny little screw wire connectors in the replacement thermal fuse kits? I always throw them away and use butt connectors and make sure they are crimped really tight.

Haven't had any issues with the terminal blocks in the kits. Followed a couple of guys that used wire nuts instead and burned up afterwards. I use butt connectors to repair the wire harness when the board burnt before the thermal bi-metal opened...

http://appliantology...ith-kitchenaid/

Mother Teresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics