Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Electrolux dryer error code 64

Electrolux dryer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Don't have model number yet, customer called & said Electrolux dryer was working but displaying error code 64. Heater failure ? Customer said that drying element getting hot, but unit not working, phone connection not good. Asked him to text model # to my wife's phone when he gets home from work this evening, Made appointment for tomorrow late afternoon.

Never worked on Electrolux dryer any perks to getting into unit or same as whirlpool. Will check electric coming in 1st for good 240v. Then check loose wiring, connections, & heater coil resistance. What should the range of ohms be. Will post model number this evening for service sheet in case it is not with unit.

Do this units have history of trouble with computer boards. One last note, from what I could understand drum is dead.
Patricio
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

... error code 64. Heater failure ?
... What should the range of ohms be.
... from what I could understand drum is dead.

1) maybe, depends on model number
2) it's either "open" or it's not (or shorted to chassis)
3) Dryer should still "run" if Heater was "open"
need model number

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

this dryer has a triple element, if any one of them is open it will set the code and stop the dryer, but because the other elements are ok it makes heat for the minute it runs before shutting off

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Kool, I can go in with knowlege. Customer has not texted me the model number yet, Will call him in morning to confirm appointment & get model number. Will keep you informed.
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Ok Eletrolux model # EIED55HMBO
IgonFishn

#6 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Ok Service call done now update:
  • How does one get front panel off? Removed control console & top panel screws, Tilted machine back & removed bottom screws. Panel tight to side cabinet, can not budge.
  • Machine controls locked... code 63 now (heating element ground to chassis)... can't put into diagnostic mode..Next attack,
  • Power all good, terminal block sound, attack from the rear. One tight one handed squeeze, (try doing a continuity test this way)
  • 2 limit switches, in series? Good continuity..checks good
  • 3 leg heater coil, all shorted to chassis.
So I remove heater coil & tube from rear, not easy. After finally removing tube I sight into flimsy slinky coils. See no burnt stuff, but looking closely coils are awful close to each other & tube, So go into analytic mode. Maybe they are grounding to each other & to tube. Customer stated dryer some time worked & sometimes had to restart with error 64 before going dead completely with code 63.

My thinking:
  • Flimsy slinky just-a-bouncing-along with rhythmic drum roll
  • Heating acting as a inebriant, coils getting really loose,
  • coils cling to each other & do the bump with the tube
  • Not enough touch to burn, control acts like cop, shuts her down before burn.
'Cause after rearranging coils no more short to ground. Reinstall heater unit & dryer good as new (even displays welcome screen).

Customer amazed, I'm tickled, I am able to collect & go home leaving a very satisfied customer who will spread the word.

How do you break into front? Manual available?
IgonFishn

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

... error 64 before going dead completely with code 63.

oh...
E64 = "open" Heater
and
E63 = Heater shorted to ground

1. Remove the top panel, rear panel, console, front panel, front inner panel, drum and heat shield.
2. Disconnect all wire leads from the components mounted to the heater assembly,
labeling as needed to assure proper connection.
3. Using a #2 square bit screwdriver, extract the two screws at the front of the heater assembly
and the single screw at the right rear. (See Figure 4-47)
4. Pull the heater assembly from heat duct.
http://appliantology...wxds65-ewmxd65/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics