Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG LMX28987ST /03 Refrigerator Freezer Drawer Problem

LG Refrigerator Freezer Drawer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jmclain

jmclain

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

We have a LG LMX28987ST and we're having a problem with the bottom powered freezer drawer.

Noticed that the ice cream was not as hard as it should be.

Discovered that the right hand side of the drawer was not sealing completely.

Took the plastic "food tray" out and saw that the right hand track was misaligned in relation to the left hand track (plastic gears running on molded plastic track).

Thinking that something that gotten frozen on one of these tracks and caused a gear to slip I steam cleaned the tracks and gears *** I think this was a mistake !!

Somehow got the drawer realigned; put the big "food tray" back in and it worked fine for a few hours.

Fast forward to bedtime and a desire for a fruit bar or two (it's was in the low hundreds yesterday) and the drawer would not open. A couple big old tugs finally got the drawer moving but it jammed gain.

Long story short I finally got the drawer closed, now I'm looking for some knowledgeable input before I touch it again.

Any thoughts?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light or Vodka

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

3-24 HOW TO REMOVE AND REINSTALL THE PULLOUT DRAWER
3-24-1 Follow Steps to Remove
Step 1) Open the freezer door. Step 2) Remove the lower basket.
Step 3) Remove the two screws from the guide rails
(one from each side).
Step 4) Lift the freezer door up to unhook it from the rail
support and remove.
Pull both rails to full extension.
Step 5) First: Remove the gear from the left side first by releasing the tab behind the gear, place a screwdriver between the
Gear and the tab and pull up on the gear.
Second: Remove the center rail.
Third: Remove the gear from the right side by following the same steps for the left side.
NOTE: THIS TAB MUST BE PUSHED IN TO RELEASE THE GEAR.
Pull the Tab from the Motor.
- 22 -
3-24-2 Follow Steps to Reinstall
Step 1) Reinstall the right side gear into the clip.
Step 2) Insert the rail into the right side gear. Gears do not
need to be perpendicular to each other.
Step 3) Insert the rail into the left side gear, and insert the
gear into the clip.
Step 4) The rail system will align itself by pushing the rails
all the way into the freezer section.
Pull the rails back out to full extension.
Step 5) Reinstall the freezer door by inserting the rail tabs
into the guide rail.
Step 6) Reinstall the two screws into the guide rails
(one from each side).
Step 7) Reinstall the lower basket, and close the freezer
door.

It seems that the gears on each side may be mis-alligned. Sometimes you can just force them to line up.

Edited by richseattle56, 09 August 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#3 jmclain

jmclain

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'll give this a try. Thanks !

#4 jmclain

jmclain

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Well, I tried. Unfortunatly I was unable to get the (bottom) drawer out. It stops about 1/3 of the way out with what feels like a mechanical jam that I do not have the strength - even if I thought it was a good idea - to break through.

If I could get the plastic "bar" out that divides the upper and lower drawers out I could pull the liner from the bottom drawer and see what's jamming it; however, getting that bar out takes more that just removing the two screws in the front. I don't want to break it!

Any ideas?

#5 jmclain

jmclain

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Heres a picture. The "X" shows were the jam is; the "O"s (such as they are) are the screws I took out when trying to remove the section between the upper and lower freezer drawers. Note the drawer won't open enough for me to remove the liner and see what the jam is all about.

Posted Image

#6 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

In the picture I can see that your cams on the upper drawer are not even the right side is farther in then the left. In the service manual it says that if you push the door all the way in it should even out the cams.

Edited by richseattle56, 10 August 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#7 jmclain

jmclain

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks richseattle56,

My current problem is not the upper drawer but the bottom drawer. It's jammed and I can not pull it out any farther than is displayed in the picture. There is a mechanical jam on the right track. I need to know how to remove that separator bar between the upper and lower drawers so I can remove the tray from the bottom drawer and see what the jam is.

Any idea how to remove that member between the drawer? It's more than those two screws that I have circled in the picture - or at least I think it takes more than that, I don't to force (read break) it by banging on it too hard.

Anyone?

Thanks !

#8 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

Do the gears on that door look even? You could also try to push the drawer all the way in, force it if you have to the manual says that will even out the tracks.

Edited by richseattle56, 12 August 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#9 jmclain

jmclain

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thanks richseattle56,

Can't see the gears on the bottom drawer because I can't remove the bottom tray to look at them because the bottom drawer can not be opened wide enough ! I have forced the drawer all the way closed - which appears to have aligned the gears - but I can now only open the drawer 1/3 of the way, there is some sort of mechanical jam THAT WILL NOT allow the drawer to be opened more than 1/3 of the way.

I would like to remove the bar that seaparates the two drawers in the front but do not know how to do this. If I can remove the bar then I can pull out the bottom tray after removing the top drawer. This would allow me to see what is jamming the bottom drawer.

Does the manual say how to remove that bar (whatever its called) that separates the two drawers?

Thanks

#10 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

It is in step five of the instructions I sent you on a earlier post.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LG, Refrigerator, Freezer Drawer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics