Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

MAYTAG MBL1956KES - Bottom drawer freezer, NOT Side-by-Side - Fridge not cooling

Maytag warm fridge mbl1956kes thermostat evaporator fan bottom drawer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 melochan

melochan

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

Re-starting an old thread from the old forum (http://applianceguru...m1/15630-1.html).

So, it appears I'm having the same old issue that I had back in 2008 which is a cold freezer and warm fridge. Since then I've replaced the defrost thermostat and the ADC board which solved my problem then - but the problem has resurfaced again.

I am wondering if the thermostat is just poor and already needs replacing again or perhaps this time it is the evaporator fan (motor). Since I recently moved out and have renters in there, it's a little harder to troubleshoot.

I'm going to go test the temperature of the freezer and fridge and run the diagnostic tests from the manual and I'll let you experts know what I find out.

Anyone have any ideas? :thanks:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Those Jazz control board fail early and often. Not unusual for them to fail again shortly after replacing them. Check the continuity of the defrost thermostat attached to the evaporator coil. If it reads closed, then replace the jazz control board. ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=MBL1956KES

#3 melochan

melochan

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Wow, the Samurai himself!
I did replace the jazz control board in 2008 ... really? just 4 years later? Unbelievable! I will check out the defrost thermostat however.

Doumo, otsukaresama!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

An easy test is to put the machine into forced defrost mode. Get the tech sheet from behind the toe Grill in an envelope. It has the procedures for putting the control into force defrost mode. if the unit goes into defrost mode, you'll hear the sizzling and popping of water dropping onto the hot element, then the jazz control board is failing to initiate defrost. Yes, they can fail again after as early as two or four years.

#5 melochan

melochan

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thank you, sure enough, same drill as a few years back. Forced defrost, heater working fine. I will order the board through you again of course!

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Let us know how it turns out!

#7 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

ive had them fail almost from the git go. Also, has any body noticed the compressor relay stuck closed a lot on these? just wondering if im the only one that seems to run into this.
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Also, has any body noticed the compressor relay stuck closed a lot on these? just wondering if im the only one that seems to run into this.

One of the common (but by no means not the only) failure modes of the jazz control board is that it doesn't cut the compressor off during defrost. So eventually the evaporator ices up, it just takes a bit longer than the failure-to-initiate defect, which is also common in this board.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

16026956.pdf
link PM'd

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 melochan

melochan

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I can't believe I'm running into this problem... I'm about to re-install the jazz control board in my MAYTAG MBL1956KES and I can't remember how to get to it. I guess my memory is failing me after doing this just 4 years ago. I remember it being really easy once I figured out how to do it. I can't find any screws so I'm scratching my head. Do I need to remove the lightbulb plate?

The only instructions the new board came with were for programming, not installation... HELP!!

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

maybe similar:

PC Control Board (some models)
1. Remove light shield by sliding shield to rear to release cover.
2. Depress with a screw driver through two slots in the front of the light housing release tabs to release Control Board housing.
3. Control Board housing will drop down exposing Control Board.
4. Unplug two wire harnesses plugged into the Control Board.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#12 melochan

melochan

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Ha ha, I *just* figured it out and finished it... I knew it was easy! Thank you SOOOO much again, all of you! Fingers crossed that I can go at *least* another 4 years now?? :)

#13 prairiestr

prairiestr

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Jack

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

Nice work.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

For future readers of this topic, my video guide to replacing the Jazz board in these boxes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics