Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Cooling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ApplianceDoctor

ApplianceDoctor

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have a customer called and said their Frigidaire refrigerator was not cooling. When I arrived I found relay to compressor was bad. I replaced relay, cleaned condenser and unit started OK. After finishing customer said that there was a lighted number on the control panel in the fresh food section blinking and she couldn't get it to stop. The unit has the digital electronic control. When opening the fresh food door I found that on the fresh food temp selector #4 is blinking and it doesn't make any difference what setting you set it on 1 thru 8 or 9 it always goes back blinking on #4. Can anyone tell me what to do for this?

Also the next day she called back and said the unit quit again. Before I got there she had disconnected power to unit. When I arrived I pluged refrigerator in and unit started running Ok The lighted #4 on fresh food control was still blinking. I instructed customer if unit quit again not to touch it and call me so I could come try to see what else was going on with the unit. Yesterday she called and said it had quit again. When arriving I found evaporator fan running, but compressor and condenser fan were cool to touch and not running. I disconnected power to unit then reconnected power and compressor and condenser fan came back on. Does this sound like a bad electronic control? Can anyone help me with this? Also when disconnecting and reconnecting power to unit, motorized damper assembly makes a loud grinding or chattering noise for a few seconds and the quitens down, which does not sound normal. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. The Model # to this refrigerator is FRS6LF7GS2

Thanks

Appliance Doctor

Edited by ApplianceDoctor, 13 August 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Start up Test
At the time the product is connected to line voltage it will run a self test.
If all components pass a your set points will appear in the display.
If there is a failure you will see a fault code appear in the display.
Test 1 - Evaporator fan motor. Alternating E in food display F in freezer display indicates test failed.
Test 2 - Freezer Thermistor. Flash 2 or 3 if failed test
Test 3 - Food Thermistor. Flash 2 or 3 if failed test
Flash “2” Thermistor is open
Flash “3” Thermistor is sensor shorted
Test 4 - Damper - Flash "4" in food display indicates the damper test failed

bad or "frosty" Damper ?

http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1194800

Damper-241600905--01029074.jpg

596_5995501516_SxS_Svc_Man_02007.pdf
service manual link PM'd

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 ApplianceDoctor

ApplianceDoctor

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

What about the compressor and condenser fan not coming on until power is disconnected and reconnected, would the damper problem have anything to do with this?

Thanks

Appliance Doctor

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

It may be in a Defrost Cycle,
OR if the Freezer is at desired temperature, then the Compressor wouldn't run.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

I had this same problem and replaced the relay. I then ordered the damper but another guy put it in. I did go back on it again but only because the dispenser motor had frozen up.

#6 ApplianceDoctor

ApplianceDoctor

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

If it were in defrost or the freezer temp was satified, the evaporator fan wouldn't be running would it? That is what I am finding the evaporator fan is running and the compressor and condenser fan are off and they are cool to touch.

Thanks

Appliance Doctor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics