Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Electric Stove/Oven JBP26G V3AD - miswired lower heating element = big flash and pop

GE JBP model ovens heating bake element wiring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TC2

TC2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

The lower heating element on our GE electric oven, JBP26G V3AD, failed spectacularly last week (it seems the giant sparkler effect is not uncommon when the heating element is failing). I ordered the replacement element but screwed up rewiring it because I did not check the tech sheet/wiring diagram. (For those of you looking for the diagram it is likely attached to the body of the stove and hidden by the drawer - you have to remove the drawer to find it).

The wiring of this heating element needs to be clarified because there is misinformation (at some other sites!) or lack of information about it. The lower heating element has 3 wires connecting to it. Two of the wires are black, one is yellow. The two black wires attach to one terminal of the element, the yellow wire attaches to the other terminal. (The upper heating element has only two black wires attaching to it, one for each terminal).

According to the wiring diagram, this information on the wiring of the element applies to model numbers that start with JBP21G, JBP21S, JBP24G, JBP25G, JBP26G, JBP26W, JBP26A, JBP45G, JBP45W, JBP45A, JBP46G, and JBP47G.

So I miswired the lower heating element, plugged the unit in, turned the oven on, and almost immediately there was a flash and a loud pop from the control panel. The circuit breaker tripped, too.

I rewired the heating element properly, but now it is not heating up when the oven is turned on. The upper heating element works, as do the burners (well, I tested 2 of the 4 and they both worked). Also, some of clock functionality is screwed up - you can't change the time, for example.

Any ideas about what happened and what part or parts need testing/replacing?

I haven't tested the lower heating element for continuity yet.

Also, I will scan in and upload the wiring diagram in a few days when I have access to a scanner. This might help the diagnosis, and there seem to be a number of people looking for the diagram online but without success (not available from GE, for example).

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

... The lower heating element has 3 wires connecting to it. Two of the wires are black, one is yellow.
... The two black wires attach to one terminal of the element, the yellow wire attaches to the other terminal.
... I miswired the lower heating element, .

What did you do ? ... connect one of the Blacks to Yellow ?

http://www.repaircli...rtDetail/820931

Oven-Control-Board-WB27X10311-01249742.j

http://www.repaircli...PartDetail/3358

Bake-Element-WB44X5082-01344753.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 TC2

TC2

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

Actually, I attached each black wire to its own terminal and the yellow wire to the screw plate holding the heating element in place. Stupid, really - I don't know why I was thinking the yellow wire would be a ground, but I couldn't remember 3 wires attaching to the element at all. And when I couldn't get an answer to the wiring question online after 1/2 hr plus of searching with continuing pressure from other household members to make the fix, I went for it, with the results reported above (let that be a lesson to you "other household members"). I didn't think of searching for the wiring diagram hidden in the stove until afterward. I mess around with appliances as infrequently as possible, so forget some of the basics like the information you need might be right there in good old paper and ink form......or maybe I'm just getting older.

So you're thinking both a new control board and a new heating element are needed? Or both should be tested?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

the heating Element should still be good....can be tested ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GE, JBP model ovens, heating, bake, element, wiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics