Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
neilc88

Kenmore 90 series washer does not rotate clothes

12 posts in this topic

Well, the wife just called me at work and said the washer is making a grinding sound and not washing or spinning at all.:(  Any ideas what could be wrong?   I'm thinking clutch or gearbox. :? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It does fill and drain water properly.  Just no wash or spin mode.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I'm thinking drive coupler.

Samurai Appliance Repair Man,

Thank you for your response and link.  I will give it a look and report on my findings.  If the coupler is bad, is there any way to see if the gearbox is also bad?:violin:

Yes, but it ain't easy. :grunt:

Go ahead and replace the coupler. The odds of a successful repair are overwhelmingly in your favor.:tokin:

You were right on the coupling.:banana:  Is there anything else I should look for before replacing it?  I have small children.  Do socks or other items jam the bowl causing the coupling failure?  The washer is about 5 years old, family of 5.

It's a normal wear item, like a belt.  It eventually breaks because of of friction and material fatigue-- part of the process of everything tending toward total entropy, in keeping with the second law of thermodynamics, as shown below:

2ndlawFig2.gif

Thanks sooo much for your help.  The washer is back up and running.:banana:  The wife is off my a$$.:yikes:

Glad to help! :dude:

Since Neil seems repaired and satisfied, I'm gonna hijack this thread. My washer is actually a 110.28902790 but it has direct drive. Coupler broke last year, replaced, worked fine. Now it broke again. The holes on the trans. side were worn out (little pile of rubber shavings underneath) and it sheared the posts off on the same side. The motor side looks fine except for the 1 missing post. But I think it was broken when the others snapped. Are we overloading it or do I need to look for a new washer?

You're either overloading it or you damaged the coupler when you installed it.

Why would you even consider looking for a new washer simply because it needs a $15 part?  :silly:  If all I had to do to keep a washer going is replace a $15 part every once in a while, I'll do that every time before I go buy new washer.. and end up doing the same thing to it, or worse.

How much is a new one?

Thanks for the quick answer! I just wanted to make sure this wasn't indicitive of impending trans failure, or something. And I will keep replacing this (buy 2 or 3) as long as I can. Thanks again, Samurai:D

Nolo problemo, compadre.  :smokin: