Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Oven Door Locked, Won't Unlock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dvanallen

dvanallen

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have a GE Monogram model zdp48n6dhss. The oven doesn't have a digital display -- just 5 buttons (off, convect, bake, broil and clean) and thermostat knobs for the burners and ovens. The main 27" oven door is locked, the Door Locked light is on, and I can't figure out how to unlock it.

The oven came with the house. When we moved in a few years back, the latch was broken. I replaced the latch this past spring. We've never put it in Clean mode but today, my 2YO daughter thought it was a good idea to push the Clean button.

So far, I've tried:
  • Turning the breaker off for a few hours
  • Running the clean mode for 30 minutes, then turning the oven off
  • Running the clean mode overnight (currently trying this)
Is there anything else I can try to get the oven to open? What might be causing this problem? Is it related to this post?

Edited by dvanallen, 23 August 2012 - 10:44 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

Do a continuity test to make sure the Door Lock High Limit Switch (#4) is "closed"
from319119.jpg

this may be the part:  http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1085954

http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1085954

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 dvanallen

dvanallen

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

The stovetop and both ovens still heat. I'm wondering if I installed the latch wiring correctly. Is there a schematic available that shows the correct wiring?

Edited by dvanallen, 30 August 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

... Is there a schematic available that shows the correct wiring?

Attached Files

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 dvanallen

dvanallen

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

This will help tremendously -- if I can understand it!

Here's an update to the problem. I used a thin 1/4" x 1" piece of oak trim moulding to push the lock mechanism open at the beginning of the clean cycle. Pushing from the right, I was actually able to open the oven. However, the lock mechanism is still engaged. How do I get it to open and stay open?

With the oven door open, I pushed the clean button and set the t-stat past broil to clean. Nothing happened. Then I pushed the lock/latch to the left with my hand. The fan turned on and the broil element started heating. When I released the latch, the fan stopped and the broil element began to cool. Then the latch began to swing from left to right and back. I then pushed the oven off button and set the t-stat to zero. The latch continued to automatically swing from left to right and back. I then closed the oven door, and the latch stopped swinging and locked the door closed.

Then I started another clean cycle and was able to get the door open again with my wooden stick. With the door open, the latch began swinging back and forth. I turned the oven and t-stat off and, with the latch still swinging back and forth, went to the basement and turned the breaker off. The latch is now in the mostly closed position, preventing the oven door from closing fully.

If I was to test for continuity on the wires/relays when the oven is going through it's motions, where should I start? Is it the K4 relay that needs power? Now that I can remove the lock assembly housing to get to the wires, should I test the K3 relay for power? Thanks for your help!

Edited by dvanallen, 03 September 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#6 dvanallen

dvanallen

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

OK, it's just 9 months later and my now 3-YO daugther decided to put the oven in a clean cycle again. Here's the fix I used last time:

With the door open and the latch swinging open to closed, I timed the latch as it swung back and forth and noticed that it ran on a 30 second interval, fully open at zero and fully closed at 30 seconds.

I turned the breaker off when it was on its second cycle of fully open (at 60 seconds). I then came upstairs and verified the latch was fully open (it was). Then, I turned the breaker back on.

I went upstairs and turned on the oven t-stat and set the oven to bake, and then convection and broil modes. The "door locked" light stayed off and the latch was not swinging back and forth. SUCCESS!

This doesn't fix the problem that the oven doesn't unlock after being put into clean cycle, but it does give me access to use the oven again. If you're willing to help me troubleshoot a permanent fix, I'm up for it. It would seem to be a matter of testing for voltage at the right time and in the right places . . .

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

No need, you shouldn't use the self clean anyway.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics