Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAH6700AWW error E3

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:cold and frosty from the tap

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Maytag frontloader has had an intermittent problem that has become chronic - Cycle starts then stalls after first wash sequence with 'E3' error. From a restart from that point a soft clicking can be heard, repeated several times, then 'E3' appears again. Sometimes will still complete a wash, rinse and spin, but mostly not. Will spin if selected separately.

Suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

This will either be loose terminals or a bad motor/hall sensor assembly. More info here ==> http://fixitnow.com/...ah9700-washers/

Part link to the motor/hall sensor assembly for your washer ==> http://www.repaircli...4001437/1185421

#3 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

I had the machine apart and checked the connections at the motor - white plastic gang conector and single green wire (ground?) spade conector - no aparent problem with them. Is it sure not to be the control board?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,796 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Not in my experience. Did you read the article I linked you to?

Any part ordered from RepairClinic can be returned within 365-days for a refund, even after it's been installed.

#5 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

and thanks for those links. Didn't actually remove the connector so that is probably good to check. Does the connector on the replacement motor match the original equipment?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,796 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

Does the connector on the replacement motor match the original equipment?

It would be one sorry excuse for a replacement if it didn't! :smokin:

#7 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

LOL, thanks much. Will get a motor coming and post results.

#8 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Motor arrived today. I installed it, tried a load and the machine stalled with error code 'E3' on the display. Suggestions?

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Maytag Washer E3 error Technical Bulletin
http://appliantology...nd-dc-bulletin/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Yes, I read through this and it is summarized in other posts on the topic. I haven't checked the software version but the error code is only 'E3', not dc or suds. [just checked - V400, the early version] Connectors bright, straight, not corroded. Picture of the 'Hall sensor' seems to show the plastic connector block where the wiring harness connects to the motor - there does not appear to be any sensor there. There is a block at the back of the motor (through which the wires enter the motor) next to the armature spindle that seems a more logical location for an rpm sensor.

In general machine interior looks very good, very clean. Machine sometimes will still cycle entirely through a load. Always will agitate but stalls when it needs to spin - yet will spin when 'spin only' is selected. The problem seems to be at state transitions. My wife thinks it first became noticable with heavy loads so perhaps it is related to the drum balance sensing somehow. The machine is 7 years old and has seen heavy use - often two loads a day - during most of that time (some time off during the summer months when we were away). No complaints till now. Would prefer to keep it rather than drop a grand on a new one...

#11 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Also, is there a test for the drum 'shocks' that keep the drum centered? How stiff should they be? Nothing is obviously broken, but in a heavily used machine I would expect some wear and tear.

#12 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

and a clarification: Clearly the Hall sensor is at the back of the motor and has three wires that connect to the harness through the lower half of white connector in the picture. The other three wires control the motor and enter the housing through one of the openings in the aluminum motor housing. The tech sheet shows the connector because that was noted as a potential source of problems - loose connectors or corrosion. The sensor itself appears to be held in place by a plastic/nylon clip/mount - probably could be popped off with a screwdriver. To bad it is not a replacable part - likely a ~$10 item...

#13 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Still hoping for a little help here... Is there a technical manual available for this model? I have had the machine apart and did not find any inside as had been suggested. I am guessing that the control software is embedded in the control board and is not upgradable w/o replacement of the board - correct? A guess at the source of my problem is that the drum balance control system is worn and is tripping the motor circuit for some reason during the wash cycle, particularly with heavy loads - comments?

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

http://appliantology...service-manual/

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,796 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Well, this is a weird one but the fire drill is this: if the connections are good and the motor and motion sensor are good (they better be now!), then that only leaves the control board ==> http://www.repaircli...4001494/1185470

User-Control-and-Display-Board-W10273828

You can put the old motor back in and try it with the new control board. If it works, then return the motor for a refund.

#16 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Will give this a try...

#17 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

So, the board arrived - it is for a model with more wash options and a 4 digit digital display. There are no connectors on the machine wiring harness for two of the connectors on the control board. It does fit - same size plastic body. Starts a wash cycle, stalls with "Hr" on the display (can't see two of the LEDs though so I might be missing something). Cancel and restart - drains water (and soap) and then washes normally. Bit of a disappointment. Likely I will return the parts and spring for a new machine.

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

... board arrived - it is for a model with more wash options and a 4 digit digital display.

... from RepairClinic ?
doesn't match this Controller ?
any part ordered from RepairClinic can be returned for a refund
User-Control-and-Display-Board-W10273828
W10273828
series 14

OR this one ?
http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1185457

Main-Control-Board-34001479-01025725.jpg

#19 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Yes, from Repairclinic and no, it doesn't, and I'm already out expedited shipping on two parts neither of which fixes the problem. Thanks for the prompt reply.

#20 Linden

Linden

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:22 PM

To be a little more specific I followed the link offered above to the control board - I suppose I should have been more a little more skeptical and vetted the information first. If I were to return the board and the motor and wait for the correct replacement - I assume it would be shipped when the returned items had been received - I would be looking at minimum of a couple more weeks with a bum washer. The alternative would be to plink down another $300 for the correct board at which point I would be into this affair $900.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics