Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Powdery residue in ice maker tray

ice maker sublimation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ablock

ablock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Greetings all.

This is a general question. We don't use ice very often, so the individual ice cubes in our Sub-Zero over-and-under periodically morph into a shapeless hunk as the ice sublimates -- a common problem, I understand, with frost-free freezers.

I have noticed when cleaning out the ice tray that there is often a very pale green powdery residue left behind under the ice chunk. It washes out easily but does not seem to be soluble.

Obviously this powder must be either dissolved or suspended in the source water for the ice maker. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks!

/adam

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Sounds as if you have a copper water supply line. If so,the copper will oxidize and leave the green specks in the ice bin. Replace the copper line with the braided ice maker supply line.

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

I have one that I'm dealing with the same sort of problem, but only a little of the green was noticed in the ice cubes and that was after I told them to leave me a couple glasses full of cubes and let them melt before I came out.

There complaint was the green particles they could actually see floating in the water when dispensed from the door dispenser and when left to settle you could see very much of the green stuff on the bottom of the glass.

I put a bright light behind the coiled tubing cold water tank looking for any sediments in it and did not see anything obvious so didn't want to replace the tank and still have the problem.

This is in a house that was vacant/foreclosure and no refrigerator had been hooked up to the copper refrigerator water line, I determined the green stuff to be copper oxidization just as Jumptrout says. I put a large 10" taste and odor inline filter in the copper line thinking that should filter out the particles and flushed 3 or 4 gallons of water thru the dispenser hoping it would flush any particles left in the tank and lines out.

The last gallon pan hardly had any of the green particles in the bottom and I thought the problem was solved and picked up all my tools and got ready to leave and dispensed a glass of water to show the tenant and the green particles where again back just as bad.

I haven't been back to try and finish the job yet, (it's not a top priority right now, but I do need to go back and get this solved). The thing I was worried about in just replacing the copper water line to the refrigerator is that the line the saddle valve is on is also copper, (copper plumbing in house). Do you guys think the copper oxides are coming only from the 1/4" copper refrigerator water line that was left open to the air for a very long time and once that is replaced we shouldn't be getting the copper oxides from the main lines?

Do you think I may have to replace the coiled tube water tank also or will it most likely flush out after changing the water line and flushing another 3 or 4 gallons of water thru it? Shouldn't the inline 10" odor and taste filter been able to filter out those particles that are so large you can actually see them?

In my 26 years of doing appliance repair I've never had to deal with this problem before and also about using the braided ice maker supply line, are you talking about the stainless braided? I've had a problem with the last white poly-braided ice maker line, (the only time I've used the stuff just replacing the same that was leaking), the customer said the water tasted and smelled funky.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 28 August 2012 - 07:05 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

the stainless braided line still uses some type of plastic line inside ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

Worst-tasting ice I've ever had in my life came from a braided line. If and when that rubber degrades... PEE-U. Tasted like someone put a radial tire into my drink.

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

What about the copper oxides guys, do you think if I replace just the 1/4" ice maker line I will eliminate the green particulates in the water or do you think they would also be coming from the main house copper plumbing?

In other words, do you think my theory of the 1/4" copper line left open to air caused just the copper oxides to form in the 1/4" copper tubing and since the house lines aren't constantly open to air they maybe don't form the oxides, (or at least not as much to cause a problem)?

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 29 August 2012 - 06:40 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

was the whole-house water supply turned off (and drained so as not to freeze) while vacant ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Personally I would run a new supply line from the hot water supply.
That will eliminate the problem.
The amount of water contained in the connecting line will usually fill the ice maker and or the water tank without HOT water ever reaching the appliance.
My personal line is connected to copper hot supply and has been for 25 years,no problem to date.

Edited by jumptrout, 29 August 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

was the whole-house water supply turned off (and drained so as not to freeze) while vacant ?

Water to house was most likely turned off at meter since no one lived in the house for some time, (I don't know how long).

I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that the system wasn't drained, (we live on the coast of California - doesn't hardly every freeze here, the coldest winter mornings may get down to mid 30's at the lowest. Generally pretty constant 40-50's in mornings - 55-67 days year round).
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics