Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Strange thing in my Maytag lint trap.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 racerxport

racerxport

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

For the past month or so my wife and I have noticed a coating of something possibly soap at the bottom end of the lint trap. In other words when the trap is removed after a drying cycle all of the lint is easily removed with the exception of the bottom inch or so. The only way it comes off is by gently running hot water over it. I attributed it my washer which was having a problem with a weak spin cycle so I figured it was soap from the clothes that weren't getting completly rinsed but I have since fixed the washer but this lint problem still persists. We haven't changed the soap, either we have been using Arm and Hammer powdered soap for years, and we don't use any dryer sheets or anything like that. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Model # MDE6000AYW

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

Could be a build up from fabric softener sheets.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

... have noticed a coating of something possibly soap at the bottom end of the lint trap.

pictures ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

1. Take the screen out
2. Wash it with hot water, some dish washer detergent, and a brush.
3. Make sure you brush it from both sides, spend a couple min on this part.
4. rinse with lots of water, the sprayer on the kitchen faucet works great
5. Wipe it of with a clean towel.
6. Put it in the dryer, and run it empty on high heat for 10 min to dry it out real good.

Plus, clean out you venting if you haven't done so in awhile. It's also good to clean out the housing the lint screen is inserted into.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 racerxport

racerxport

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I cleaned out the entire vent tube even where it exits the house, wasn't that clogged at all. I am trying to attach pics. I have cleaned the lint screen numerous times to no avail. We also don't ever use those dryer sheets

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

Liquid fabric softener is just as bad as the dryer sheets.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics