Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 106.59292990 Water to Ice Maker Leaking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gstump

gstump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

It appears that the spigot (water shute) that feeds the ice maker in this fridge is leaking. That is that when it shuts off it doesn't appear to be shutting all the way off. It looks to be dripping like one drop down the shute there every few seconds. In another thread I wrote how the ice & water has been smelly so I replaced all the water lines, including the 1/4 line that feeds the ice machine. The first night I awoke to find ice had formed all around where the water comes in. I melted all that away and turned the water back on to find the slow dripping occuring.

I am assuming this is a value issue since the valve feeds this water line? There are screws on the valve so it looks like it comes apart. Does this mean it's seviceable? Hopefully just an o-ring or something in there that needs replacing?

Nuther question - I thought I read somewhere that some water outlets to fridges have meters? Is this because some of the outlets have too high water pressure for the firdge water lines?

As always, many thanks in advance and I will post follow up/resolution.

GS

Edited by gstump, 03 September 2012 - 12:00 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

No, You need to replace the water valve as an assembly. It is NOT serviceable.

You should also replace the water filter while you're at it if this refrigererator has one.

http://www.repaircli...0408179/1938614

http://www.repaircli...4396510/1038683

Edited by Scottthewolf, 03 September 2012 - 01:29 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Is the Fridge water supply connected to an external filter ?
Reverse Osmosis system, etc ?
Is the Fridge water line connected to the House Water Pipes with a "saddle Valve" ?
Is it a "self-piercing" or "drill type" Valve ?
Too low of water pressure can also cause your symptoms.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 gstump

gstump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

This fridge has it's own filter so the water comes into the fridge, goes to the filter, comes back from the filter and then through the dual valves for ice & water. There is a specific fridge water outlet in the wall for fridge water. Not sure how that's connected to the main under the house but this is a newer home. The last thing that water goes through (before heading to the ice maker) is the valve which is why I figured that would be the issue (that's it's not fully closing)?

Edited by gstump, 03 September 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

... the valve which is why I figured that would be the issue (that's it's not fully closing)?

... Too low of water pressure can also cause your symptoms.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 gstump

gstump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

Gotcha. The pressure on this outlet is pretty strong. I was worried that it might be too strong.

#7 gstump

gstump

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Just to close out this thread:

Before purchasing a brand new dual valve for this fridge I checked the water lines and found that the line feeding the ice machine had a kink right where it enters the valve. You'd think a kink would not cause it to drip but apparently that was the culprit. I replaced the 1/2 water line to the ice maker again with a longer section that didn't kink and it's been working perfecctly ever since.

As a side note, while checking the lines one more time the next day I found the fan back there by the compressor was not working when the compressor was on and things were a little hot back there. A quick turn of the fan revealed that I had allowed the water line to be too close and it was stopping the fan. Luckily it didn't burn the motor out.

Fridge is working really great right now! yay!

GS

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

The kinked water line most likely caused low water pressure to the valves which could let them leak thru, same problem you develop when using RO water filter system. The valves are operated to work between 30 and, (I believe), around a max of 100 lbs. of water pressure.

The pressures is partially what closes the valve and keeps it solidly shut off. When the pressure is too low it doesn't hold the valve shut and can seep water past the needle and diaphragm and cause the icing in the ice maker fill tube.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics