Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Shawnna

GE Profile PSS25MGNA refer - freezer not freezing

66 posts in this topic

I second kdog's opinion on the Electrolux's. I have replaced way too many main electronic control boards on the almost brand new Electrolux and Frigidaire brands and General Electric brands. Stick with Maytag, Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid brands, they have been most reliable over the years.

Thank you Scottthewolf!

:cheers:

I think I've found a GREAT deal on the Kitchenaid model I linked above. It's from the same place I got my new LG washer/dryer from and it was delivered without any glitches in a very timely fashion. My local appliance shop wants $1799 plus 8.9% tax for the exact same model I'm getting delivered for $1534. The next cheapest I found was Sears for $1804 not including 8.9% tax or delivery. While I hate depriving my beloved Washington state of the sales tax, I simply can't afford to be that benevolent right now.

:ermm:

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The kitchenAid you posted is a great choice - exactly the kind of thing I would look for if I was in the market. :thumbsup:

2 people like this

I second the Kitchen Aid, if I wasn't single I would have bought it. Instead I own a Whirlpool top freezer refigerator.

2 people like this

Ok - I did some in person recon today and here's what I liked - and didn't.

LG - wow!! What a beautiful and solid unit. While I'm not engineer - I'm impressed with some of the innovation I saw - like the through the door icemaker that doesn't hog a bunch of space inside the unit itself. Very impressed. They are also quite pricey when compared to the Maytag, Whirlpool and Kitchenaid brands.

Maytag - they are OK - I could live with one.

Kitchenaid - seems more solid than the Maytag.

Whirlpool - very nice units - would definitely take this one over the Maytag if everything else is equal.

Edited by Shawnna

LG refrigerators have been very troublesome and keep in mind that alot of servicers refuse to work on them and they are a Korean company. Just what we need for this economy, more imports. I would stick with the Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid or Maytag.

LG refrigerators have been very troublesome and keep in mind that alot of servicers refuse to work on them and they are a Korean company. Just what we need for this economy, more imports. I would stick with the Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid or Maytag.

Ok - the info about LG being 'troublesome' is helpful. I did check Consumer Reports and it is the highest rated.

As for LG being a Korean company and the impact on the economy - well - at the risk of pissing you off - I'm a true capitalist at heart. I want the best for my money. If that means buying from a manufacturer not in the good ole USA - so be it.

:whistling:

1 person likes this

Ok - the info about LG being 'troublesome' is helpful. I did check Consumer Reports and it is the highest rated.

As for LG being a Korean company and the impact on the economy - well - at the risk of pissing you off - I'm a true capitalist at heart. I want the best for my money. If that means buying from a manufacturer not in the good ole USA - so be it.

:whistling:

Maybe performance wise it is highest rated, Not so for reliability and the track record in repairs.

1 person likes this

Oh, another thing, Consumer Reports is only a marginally reliable source on reliability. Consumer Reports tests all the appliances when they are brand new, They base the reliabilty of the appliances by asking their readers in an annual questionairre what problems they have had with their appliances in the past 10 years. Since not everybody reads or subscribes to Consumer Reports, it is not a "real world" report on the reliability of appliances.

1 person likes this

Worked on an L.G. only 18 months old...The start package ( the gizmo that starts the compressor) failed, took 6 weeks to get the OEM part...lucky for them, I had a Whirlpool one on the truck that would work till the replacement was received......I have an 8 year old french door refer made by Maytag, now relabeled as a Kitchen-Aid...( Mine has mechanical cold controls, no electronic boards ).........Would ya take the word of a Seattlite native to rethink the Kitchen-Aid unit??? P.S....I do like the plastic door bins of the L.G.'s and the Samsung's.......................P.P.S. Consumer Report will not be owning the tested unit in 10 years, but you will be..... :teehee:

2 people like this

Kenmore Top Freezer 18.2 cu/ft
black or white
$ 358
+ $ 100 IceMaker
+ $ 69 delivery
(I'm not sure yet who makes this model)

046_68809-Open?hei=315&wid=315&op_sharpe
Dimensions and Capacity:
Depth: Standard Depth
Depth w/ Handle (in.): 33.625
Depth w/out Handle (In.): 31.625
Freezer Capacity (Cu Ft): 4.07
Height to Top of Case (in.): 65.375
Height to Top of Hinge (in.): 66.125
Overall Capacity (Cu Ft): 18.2
Refrigerator Capacity: 14.13
Width w/ Door Closed: 29.625

1 person likes this

That's a Frigidaire. Lately In the past 10 years I have seen a ton of evaporator leaks in their units, alot of defrost thermostat failures and a few defrost thermostat failures, and that unit probably isn't big enough for Shawna. I usually only see these in apartments, condos and garages.

I warn everybody to avoid Sears now, because the general public doesn't know what brand they are buying anymore.

... Lately In the past 10 years I have seen a ton of evaporator leaks in their units,

I agree

(the KitchenAid she's looking at is 19.7 cu/ft)

Worked on an L.G. only 18 months old...The start package ( the gizmo that starts the compressor) failed, took 6 weeks to get the OEM part...lucky for them, I had a Whirlpool one on the truck that would work till the replacement was received......I have an 8 year old french door refer made by Maytag, now relabeled as a Kitchen-Aid...( Mine has mechanical cold controls, no electronic boards ).........Would ya take the word of a Seattlite native to rethink the Kitchen-Aid unit??? P.S....I do like the plastic door bins of the L.G.'s and the Samsung's.......................P.P.S. Consumer Report will not be owning the tested unit in 10 years, but you will be..... :teehee:

*waves hello* - glad to see someone in my neck of the woods!

And yes - of course - I usually follow the recommendations of you all anyway.

LG doesn't make a counter depth, French door in black. And I really, really like the Kitchenaid design with a filtered water outlet inside the unit.

I'm definitely going with the Kitchenaid but you know me.... I gotta recon everything.

BouncingBall.gif

Oh, another thing, Consumer Reports is only a marginally reliable source on reliability. Consumer Reports tests all the appliances when they are brand new, They base the reliabilty of the appliances by asking their readers in an annual questionairre what problems they have had with their appliances in the past 10 years. Since not everybody reads or subscribes to Consumer Reports, it is not a "real world" report on the reliability of appliances.

Excellent points all around hun!

The recon I did today helped me with a couple of things:

• Look at the different units and manufacturers
  • Lowe's has Kitchenaid (won't get anything from Sears even if they were giving it away!)
  • A small, well known and highly reputable appliance shop nearby me (King & Bunny's in Renton) has a good price on the Kitchenaid I want - $1799 plus tax, delivered, installed and old one hauled away.
  • The online store where I can save basically the tax on the Kitchenaid unit is OK (I got my LG washer/dryer from them) but I'm thinking I'd like to deal with a local, non-big-box store. Besides, the online store wants $40 to haul the pos GE unit.

Edited by Shawnna
1 person likes this

Ok - one more recon trip today to the small, well known and highly reputable appliance shop nearby (King and Bunny's in Renton) because they had the exact model I want on the floor. It was in stainless and I need black but other than that, it was the exact model - counter depth and all.

And they are $100 less than Lowes!!!

happydance.gif

Going to order it as soon as my 401K withdrawal gets here - hopefully in the next week or so.

Thanks again to all of you!!! You are all incredibly helpful and I'm deeply indebted to you!

grouphug-1.gif

1 person likes this

Well..... I ended up paying a repair man $360.55 to replace the motherboard in this one.

Long story but suffice it to say that a family crisis made it such that I needed to save the 401K money so I couldn't afford the new one.

We'll see how long this last this time. Repair came with 90 day warranty.

1 person likes this