Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile PSS25MGNA refer - freezer not freezing

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

JCD2290HEB
black
c.2004
That model uses the famous Jazz Board (failure prone)
why was the Compressor replaced ? :woot:
Warranty on entire Fridge ?

Warranty on entire fridge is 90 days - parts and labor. The business model of Pacific Appliance appears to be to pick up 'dead' appliances and if fixable, fix them, clean them up and resell them. I can also order a new one from them too. Here's a link to the dealers website.

http://www.pacifichomeappliance.com/

I'll find out tomorrow all the parts he replaced but he did mention the compressor it came with were failure prone and he replaced it with <insert brand name> compressor here. I'll update this post with brand name tomorrow when I find out.

Edited by Shawnna, 21 October 2012 - 08:26 PM.

"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Or I guess I could just bite the bullet and buy new.

:confused:
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

#43 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,600 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

I don't want to influence a possible business transaction in any way so let me just say this: If I bought an 8 yo fridge with a newly installed compressor and a 90 day warranty for $850, I would definetly fix the GE to have as a back up.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#44 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

I don't want to influence a possible business transaction in any way so let me just say this: If I bought an 8 yo fridge with a newly installed compressor and a 90 day warranty for $850, I would definetly fix the GE to have as a back up.

Copy that! :)

Here's the new model I'm looking at. Any opinions one way or another on this one?

http://www.appliance...ei23cs35kb.html

From the movie "Contact"

#45 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

How 'bout something like this: http://www.homedepot...SkuId=202717159

Or this: http://www.homedepot...SkuId=203435342
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#46 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

So it looks like you like Maytag kdog. Either one linked would work - but I want a counter depth one. I have a galley kitchen and my double ovens with the door opens makes me feel like I'm squished with the current regular depth GE.

I noticed one of the ones you linked is rated very, very poorly. I want something that is going to be reliable - while I love you all, I'm sick of repairing appliances.

From the movie "Contact"

#47 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

Maytag is just one of the many brands owned by the Whirlpool family - I chose those as they were easy to find - other brand names include Amana, KitchenAid,Whirlpool, Inglis, some Kenmore, JennAir and others.
I would personally avoid anything with G.E., Fridgidaire, Electrolux - I also don't give much faith in those online "ratings" as they do not pertain to engineering of the unit. I wanted to suggest the "French Door" which is a bottom mounted freezer with the split upper doors - quite convenient.

http://fixitnow.com/...ecommendations/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#48 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Ok.......... definitely avoiding GE (this one I have seems like it's been one thing after another) Fridgidaire, and Electrolux then. I like the "French Door" models too with the freezer on the bottom. From the way things are going, it looks like I'll be scraping up some 401K money to buy a new fridge. Last year about this time I was doing the same thing to buy a new washer/dryer.

Posted Image

I wish I had regular savings, but I don't.

Thanks for all your help!

Posted Image

Edited by Shawnna, 22 October 2012 - 09:59 AM.

From the movie "Contact"

#49 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Ok - I think I'm going to go with this one. I can get it for $1533.77 delivered and installed. Anyone have comments or concerns?

http://www.appliance...kbfs20evbl.html

From the movie "Contact"

#50 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

I second kdog's opinion on the Electrolux's. I have replaced way too many main electronic control boards on the almost brand new Electrolux and Frigidaire brands and General Electric brands. Stick with Maytag, Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid brands, they have been most reliable over the years.
Scott Wolf

#51 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

I second kdog's opinion on the Electrolux's. I have replaced way too many main electronic control boards on the almost brand new Electrolux and Frigidaire brands and General Electric brands. Stick with Maytag, Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid brands, they have been most reliable over the years.

Thank you Scottthewolf!

:cheers:

I think I've found a GREAT deal on the Kitchenaid model I linked above. It's from the same place I got my new LG washer/dryer from and it was delivered without any glitches in a very timely fashion. My local appliance shop wants $1799 plus 8.9% tax for the exact same model I'm getting delivered for $1534. The next cheapest I found was Sears for $1804 not including 8.9% tax or delivery. While I hate depriving my beloved Washington state of the sales tax, I simply can't afford to be that benevolent right now.

:ermm:

From the movie "Contact"

#52 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

The kitchenAid you posted is a great choice - exactly the kind of thing I would look for if I was in the market. :thumbsup:

#53 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

I second the Kitchen Aid, if I wasn't single I would have bought it. Instead I own a Whirlpool top freezer refigerator.
Scott Wolf

#54 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Ok - I did some in person recon today and here's what I liked - and didn't.

LG - wow!! What a beautiful and solid unit. While I'm not engineer - I'm impressed with some of the innovation I saw - like the through the door icemaker that doesn't hog a bunch of space inside the unit itself. Very impressed. They are also quite pricey when compared to the Maytag, Whirlpool and Kitchenaid brands.

Maytag - they are OK - I could live with one.

Kitchenaid - seems more solid than the Maytag.

Whirlpool - very nice units - would definitely take this one over the Maytag if everything else is equal.

Edited by Shawnna, 23 October 2012 - 09:09 PM.

From the movie "Contact"

#55 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

LG refrigerators have been very troublesome and keep in mind that alot of servicers refuse to work on them and they are a Korean company. Just what we need for this economy, more imports. I would stick with the Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid or Maytag.
Scott Wolf

#56 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

LG refrigerators have been very troublesome and keep in mind that alot of servicers refuse to work on them and they are a Korean company. Just what we need for this economy, more imports. I would stick with the Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid or Maytag.

Ok - the info about LG being 'troublesome' is helpful. I did check Consumer Reports and it is the highest rated.

As for LG being a Korean company and the impact on the economy - well - at the risk of pissing you off - I'm a true capitalist at heart. I want the best for my money. If that means buying from a manufacturer not in the good ole USA - so be it.

:whistling:

From the movie "Contact"

#57 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Ok - the info about LG being 'troublesome' is helpful. I did check Consumer Reports and it is the highest rated.

As for LG being a Korean company and the impact on the economy - well - at the risk of pissing you off - I'm a true capitalist at heart. I want the best for my money. If that means buying from a manufacturer not in the good ole USA - so be it.

:whistling:

Maybe performance wise it is highest rated, Not so for reliability and the track record in repairs.
Scott Wolf

#58 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Oh, another thing, Consumer Reports is only a marginally reliable source on reliability. Consumer Reports tests all the appliances when they are brand new, They base the reliabilty of the appliances by asking their readers in an annual questionairre what problems they have had with their appliances in the past 10 years. Since not everybody reads or subscribes to Consumer Reports, it is not a "real world" report on the reliability of appliances.
Scott Wolf

#59 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Worked on an L.G. only 18 months old...The start package ( the gizmo that starts the compressor) failed, took 6 weeks to get the OEM part...lucky for them, I had a Whirlpool one on the truck that would work till the replacement was received......I have an 8 year old french door refer made by Maytag, now relabeled as a Kitchen-Aid...( Mine has mechanical cold controls, no electronic boards ).........Would ya take the word of a Seattlite native to rethink the Kitchen-Aid unit??? P.S....I do like the plastic door bins of the L.G.'s and the Samsung's.......................P.P.S. Consumer Report will not be owning the tested unit in 10 years, but you will be..... :teehee:

#60 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Kenmore Top Freezer 18.2 cu/ft
black or white
$ 358
+ $ 100 IceMaker
+ $ 69 delivery
(I'm not sure yet who makes this model)

046_68809-Open?hei=315&wid=315&op_sharpe
Dimensions and Capacity:
Depth: Standard Depth
Depth w/ Handle (in.): 33.625
Depth w/out Handle (In.): 31.625
Freezer Capacity (Cu Ft): 4.07
Height to Top of Case (in.): 65.375
Height to Top of Hinge (in.): 66.125
Overall Capacity (Cu Ft): 18.2
Refrigerator Capacity: 14.13
Width w/ Door Closed: 29.625

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics