Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile PSS25MGNA refer - freezer not freezing

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

That's a Frigidaire. Lately In the past 10 years I have seen a ton of evaporator leaks in their units, alot of defrost thermostat failures and a few defrost thermostat failures, and that unit probably isn't big enough for Shawna. I usually only see these in apartments, condos and garages.

I warn everybody to avoid Sears now, because the general public doesn't know what brand they are buying anymore.
Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#62 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

... Lately In the past 10 years I have seen a ton of evaporator leaks in their units,

I agree
(the KitchenAid she's looking at is 19.7 cu/ft)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#63 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

Worked on an L.G. only 18 months old...The start package ( the gizmo that starts the compressor) failed, took 6 weeks to get the OEM part...lucky for them, I had a Whirlpool one on the truck that would work till the replacement was received......I have an 8 year old french door refer made by Maytag, now relabeled as a Kitchen-Aid...( Mine has mechanical cold controls, no electronic boards ).........Would ya take the word of a Seattlite native to rethink the Kitchen-Aid unit??? P.S....I do like the plastic door bins of the L.G.'s and the Samsung's.......................P.P.S. Consumer Report will not be owning the tested unit in 10 years, but you will be..... :teehee:

*waves hello* - glad to see someone in my neck of the woods!

And yes - of course - I usually follow the recommendations of you all anyway.

LG doesn't make a counter depth, French door in black. And I really, really like the Kitchenaid design with a filtered water outlet inside the unit.

I'm definitely going with the Kitchenaid but you know me.... I gotta recon everything.

Posted Image
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

#64 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Oh, another thing, Consumer Reports is only a marginally reliable source on reliability. Consumer Reports tests all the appliances when they are brand new, They base the reliabilty of the appliances by asking their readers in an annual questionairre what problems they have had with their appliances in the past 10 years. Since not everybody reads or subscribes to Consumer Reports, it is not a "real world" report on the reliability of appliances.

Excellent points all around hun!

The recon I did today helped me with a couple of things:
  • Look at the different units and manufacturers
  • Lowe's has Kitchenaid (won't get anything from Sears even if they were giving it away!)
  • A small, well known and highly reputable appliance shop nearby me (King & Bunny's in Renton) has a good price on the Kitchenaid I want - $1799 plus tax, delivered, installed and old one hauled away.
  • The online store where I can save basically the tax on the Kitchenaid unit is OK (I got my LG washer/dryer from them) but I'm thinking I'd like to deal with a local, non-big-box store. Besides, the online store wants $40 to haul the pos GE unit.

Edited by Shawnna, 23 October 2012 - 11:52 PM.

"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

#65 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Ok - one more recon trip today to the small, well known and highly reputable appliance shop nearby (King and Bunny's in Renton) because they had the exact model I want on the floor. It was in stainless and I need black but other than that, it was the exact model - counter depth and all.

And they are $100 less than Lowes!!!

Posted Image

Going to order it as soon as my 401K withdrawal gets here - hopefully in the next week or so.

Thanks again to all of you!!! You are all incredibly helpful and I'm deeply indebted to you!

Posted Image

From the movie "Contact"

#66 Shawnna

Shawnna

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Well..... I ended up paying a repair man $360.55 to replace the motherboard in this one.

Long story but suffice it to say that a family crisis made it such that I needed to save the 401K money so I couldn't afford the new one.

We'll see how long this last this time. Repair came with 90 day warranty.

From the movie "Contact"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics