Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Slight tub leak - Frigidaire Gallery front load washer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 royk

royk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

My Frigidaire Gallery (FWT449GFS1) front load washer is leaking a bit from the tub. I have seen small drips coming from the area where the tub is joined together. I am wondering whether I should just tighten the crews that appear to hold the tub together (see picture) in that area or will that cause more problems by potentially warping the plastic? What should I try? I don't think the tub is cracked and the leak seems to be most active when the drum is spinning very fast. The unit is about 12 years old and has worked very well to date.

Thanks as always for your assistance.

Attached Files

Roy

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

You might need to replace the gasket in between the 2 halves of the outer tub.

http://www.repaircli...34146100/936915
Scott Wolf

#3 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

Ive tightened them before with mixed succes, but no ill effects. The worst you could do is seperatete the halves and hit it with silicone. WTF..
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#4 royk

royk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try tightening those screws first. How big a job is it to replace that gasket? It's got a three-wrench rating at the repair clinic.
Roy

#5 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

It's not a fast job. It's not as bad as a tub replacement, but don't try to do this on a day where you absolutely have to be someplace, like a wedding or your daughter's soccer game. You're going to have to take the top off, pop the door gasket spring off, get the door off, and then you'll want to get the concrete counterweight off. Looking at the parts drawing, it looks like you'll also have to get the springs off in order to remove the front half of the tub. If you do, you might consider putting something under the tub so that the struts aren't support the whole weight of the inner basket and outer tub.

The good news is that you don't need to take the door gasket off the outer tub half, just leave that on the tub as you pull it off.

#6 royk

royk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for those tips Dan. The less I have to take apart, the better! (although I still won't make it to that wedding...)
Roy

#7 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

try yighten the bolts on the top of the tup and work down it seperates uptop first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics