Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

royk

Slight tub leak - Frigidaire Gallery front load washer

7 posts in this topic

My Frigidaire Gallery (FWT449GFS1) front load washer is leaking a bit from the tub. I have seen small drips coming from the area where the tub is joined together. I am wondering whether I should just tighten the crews that appear to hold the tub together (see picture) in that area or will that cause more problems by potentially warping the plastic? What should I try? I don't think the tub is cracked and the leak seems to be most active when the drum is spinning very fast. The unit is about 12 years old and has worked very well to date.

Thanks as always for your assistance.

post-2563-0-83397400-1347223538_thumb.jp

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Ive tightened them before with mixed succes, but no ill effects. The worst you could do is seperatete the halves and hit it with silicone. WTF..

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try tightening those screws first. How big a job is it to replace that gasket? It's got a three-wrench rating at the repair clinic.

It's not a fast job. It's not as bad as a tub replacement, but don't try to do this on a day where you absolutely have to be someplace, like a wedding or your daughter's soccer game. You're going to have to take the top off, pop the door gasket spring off, get the door off, and then you'll want to get the concrete counterweight off. Looking at the parts drawing, it looks like you'll also have to get the springs off in order to remove the front half of the tub. If you do, you might consider putting something under the tub so that the struts aren't support the whole weight of the inner basket and outer tub.

The good news is that you don't need to take the door gasket off the outer tub half, just leave that on the tub as you pull it off.

Thanks for those tips Dan. The less I have to take apart, the better! (although I still won't make it to that wedding...)

try yighten the bolts on the top of the tup and work down it seperates uptop first