Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag SAV5701AWW washing machine tranny popping?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Sun Tea

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

She agitates and pumps fine, but when it comes to the spin cycle she makes this LOUD banging sound....I figured it was something stuck in the pump, but it DOES pump water.

As you can see in the video when I spin it by hand one way it is the agitate cycle, but i try to spin the opposite direction it looks like the tranny is locked up.

Thx all !

Edited by rolandvz71, 14 September 2012 - 02:13 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

It sounds like you need a new helix and pulley. They get worn and will not release the break so the tub can spin. Also check the thickness of the fiber washer with your calipers. The thickness spec is on the parts diagram at your parts vendor. Everything has to be pretty close to specs for this unit to spin. Good luck.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

http://appliantology...se-during-spin/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Thx I will try it in the afternoon......I beleive I have some spare parts from a Amama I salavged.

Will keep all posted!

Any chance you have a service manual for this washer or one close to it?

Edited by rolandvz71, 15 September 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Helix ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=SAV5701AWW

Gear-40047402-00760050.jpg

Drive Pulley ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=SAV5701AWW

Drive-Pulley-40047102-00569646.jpg

#6 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

OK the drive pulley will not simply slide out over the tranny shaft due to the clearance of the milk stool and bearing assembly. So I fig I need to remove the inner tub. Well in doing I found the removable lint filter BUT there is another part what looks to be screwed into the tranny...I dont know what you called it nor do I have the tool to remove it but, its looks like it needs to come out for the tranny to slide thru the outer tub so I can remove the drive pulley once the milk stool and bearing assembly are removed from the entire outer tub. Also send pic of tool to remove the part in the second pic.
Am I not doing this right? Plz shed some light.....thx!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by rolandvz71, 15 September 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#7 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

If nothing is leaking, you have gone to far, from the looks of your picture. I do not know what you mean by a lint filter. there is no lint filter under the tub. You are as far as you need to go. If I remember correctly, with the tub and tranny out and flipped upside down (which seemed the easiest and fastest to me) the sequence of the parts you need to deal with, from the end of the drive shaft; helix bolt, helix, washer, pulley, washer, and brake assy. the helix and the meshing part of the pulley will be truncated from the banging you heard. The other side of the pulley will be worn and melted. This reduction in the thickness of these parts keeps the brake from releasing, and further damaging the parts just spoken of. I also had a broken brake pad, so do a good inspection. The parts are not that expensive so get what you need or it will not work properly. The suampman has slogged through the mire, he knows, I hope this helps. Good luck.

#8 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

One other thing, it looks like the shaft could use a ceaning with a fine emory cloth and light oil.

#9 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

The lint filter is under the inner tub....I was able to remove the piece I could not remove in the pic above. From there everything came off and yes the tub appears to have been leaking the there is evidence of rusty water marks inside the cabinet. Also the tub bearings sounds rough when spinning it by hand....any chance any1 out there knows of a part #? Having a hard time tracking that one down. 1st pic shows lint filter to the left and tub bearing to right.....cant seem to find the tub bearing on the internet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last photo had a lot of rust on it from the water leak (cleaned up since then).....this is the bearing that sounds rough when spinning on my fingers

Thx all !

Edited by rolandvz71, 16 September 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

this one ?

http://www.repaircli...rtDetail/549692

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

No RegUS that is not the one, (that's the lower bearing that goes in the milkstool), this is the plastic tub SpeedQueen style. He needs the upper spin bearing that is encased in a rubber housing to press into the plastic tub, it comes in the "Triple Lip Tub Seal & Bearing Kit".

Tub Seal and Bearing Kit W10116791
http://www.repaircli...0116791/1258432
Tub-Seal-and-Bearing-Kit-W10116791--0090

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

Whoa $98.......this rebuild is gonna send me into the red! Plus I still need to get the helix and pulley and washers also.......rrrrrrrr

#13 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

It sounds like you need a new helix and pulley. They get worn and will not release the break so the tub can spin. Also check the thickness of the fiber washer with your calipers. The thickness spec is on the parts diagram at your parts vendor. Everything has to be pretty close to specs for this unit to spin. Good luck.

So I should get 2 new washers then.....

http://www.repaircli...40065701/777269
http://www.repaircli...40063201/777262

to ensure tub will engage for the spin cycle

The brake looks fine from what I can tell

Edited by rolandvz71, 17 September 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#14 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

The plastic washer is the only one you need to check. If the ID (.63") and OD (2") is good and the washer is intact I would not bother with the washers.

#15 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, I don't like these machines, they are pieces of junk that belong in the landfill or for use as a planter in somebody's yard. The tools for removing and replacing the hub, triple lip seal and bearing are no longer available, so I guess Whirlpool wants them to be thrown away as well.
Scott Wolf

#16 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

I repaired one I got for $25.00. The guy said it had bad tranny. I just bought it because I had not seen one before and it looked pristine. I wanted the experience. Did not have trouble getting parts, but did'nt need triple seal. My wife loves it. I will see how long it lasts. I told her not to overload and I will do inspection once a year. Four months since repair so far so good.

#17 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

If you can get a hold of instruction sheet 16023370 it will shed some light on your task.....Samurai has one in his manual stash but I do not know how to post it ( out dated version though ).... I did one of these last night ... ( SAV2655aww )....You can use the standard Whirlpool spanner wrench to remove the Washer Hub.... A lot of banging away with the beater to remove the hub, really stuck with age and gunk...( Tub was stuck and broke off a tab on the Washer hub )..........suampman, in post # 7, you have the items listed in order incorrectly...... Screw..metal washer..Helix..Pulley..Metal washer..Plastic washer.. then brake..........I replaced the lower bearing cuz of water damage, If the lower bearing is in good shape , I have a shorter diss-assembly the does not involve removing the transmission or diss-connecting the springs ( especially the centering spring ).. Pictures to follow ............... You really do not need the Break/bearing removal tool, but you will need the 3M 800 sealant and the Grease ( NAPA Auto silicone is O.K. )........The plastic disk/wrench ( p/n 22002898..$ 10.00 ) is still available but the handle ( 35-2968 ) is NLA....You can adapt something........Charged the lady $ 295 for the repair, this machine is better than what is available out there right now...... ( sorry Scottthewolf :whistling: ).....

Edited by certified tech group 51, 19 September 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

If you can get a hold of instruction sheet 16023370

http://appliantology...lip-seals-info/

#19 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

If you can get a hold of instruction sheet 16023370 it will shed some light on your task.....Samurai has one in his manual stash but I do not know how to post it ( out dated version though ).... I did one of these last night ... ( SAV2655aww )....You can use the standard Whirlpool spanner wrench to remove the Washer Hub.... A lot of banging away with the beater to remove the hub, really stuck with age and gunk...( Tub was stuck and broke off a tab on the Washer hub )..........suampman, in post # 7, you have the items listed in order incorrectly...... Screw..metal washer..Helix..Pulley..Metal washer..Plastic washer.. then brake..........I replaced the lower bearing cuz of water damage, If the lower bearing is in good shape , I have a shorter diss-assembly the does not involve removing the transmission or diss-connecting the springs ( especially the centering spring ).. Pictures to follow ............... You really do not need the Break/bearing removal tool, but you will need the 3M 800 sealant and the Grease ( NAPA Auto silicone is O.K. )........The plastic disk/wrench ( p/n 22002898..$ 10.00 ) is still available but the handle ( 35-2968 ) is NLA....You can adapt something........Charged the lady $ 295 for the repair, this machine is better than what is available out there right now...... ( sorry Scottthewolf :whistling: ).....

To each their own, you didn't work for Maytag Factory Service and get 3-5 of these pieces of junk a week to replace the triple lip seals and tub bearings, milkstools and bases to replace when they were only 1 or 2 years old when you had 10 to 12 calls a day to do like I did. That's one reason I have such a hatred for these washing machines. They also expected us to get our compressor and evaporator replacement jobs and outer tub jobs on the front load washers done in 8 hour days without putting in overtime.
Scott Wolf

#20 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

ok here is the latest.....ordered the
Helix
Drive Pulley
plastic washer and
both bearings (tub and milkstool)
also replaced the seal nut

Cleaned the lint filter and outer tub and glad to say she's up and running w/out a hitch

Thx all for the input!!

Edited by rolandvz71, 13 October 2012 - 08:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics