Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag SAV5701AWW washing machine tranny popping?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

........ Yet
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sun Tea w/lemon or lime

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

yea yet....... guess we shall see on another episode of "As the Washer Turns"

Edited by rolandvz71, 13 October 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#23 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

Btw, one tip. I use my torch to heat the hub up and it lifts off like a charm. I just did one of these because the customer insisted on getting it fixed.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 14 October 2012 - 01:02 AM.

Scott Wolf

#24 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

[/font]
To each their own, you didn't work for Maytag Factory Service and get 3-5 of these pieces of junk a week to replace the triple lip seals and tub bearings, milkstools and bases to replace when they were only 1 or 2 years old when you had 10 to 12 calls a day to do like I did. That's one reason I have such a hatred for these washing machines. They also expected us to get our compressor and evaporator replacement jobs and outer tub jobs on the front load washers done in 8 hour days without putting overtime.

Ok seems like this washer (Maytag SAV5701AWW) to some people are not high in the list......So let me ask you I read were some mentioned these are set up like the Speed Queen. Now from what I have seen and read the SQ and this Maytag look pretty much the same as far as tranny and motor set up. ..... Am I wrong? Also I have seen SQ's in landuary matts and seem to think if the SQ is good eoungh for a commmerical enviroment then it should good for my home use. http://austin.craigs...3383895664.html

Edited by rolandvz71, 09 November 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#25 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

This is NOT the Speed Queen design that is used in laundramats

These are what those are: http://www.econ-o-wash.com/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#26 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

ok so this http://austin.craigs...3383895664.html and Maytag SAV5701AWW are pretty much the same thing?

#27 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

http://www.econ-o-wash.com/

Really cant see the top loaders.....what brand are they?

#28 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Was I wrong about about the Maytag and the Speed Queen having the same set up(motor tranny)? There is a video on YouTube w/a fella changing out a tranny on what looks like to be for some maids in a hotel possiblly....The point is the machine he is working on and the Maytag SAV5701AWW look somewhat alike.....I will seach for the vid

Found the vid.....

Edited by rolandvz71, 13 November 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#29 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

Check this out: http://appliantology...lip-seals-info/

I believe it is a much different machine than you post about here

#30 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I repaired one I got for $25.00. The guy said it had bad tranny. I just bought it because I had not seen one before and it looked pristine. I wanted the experience. Did not have trouble getting parts, but did'nt need triple seal. My wife loves it. I will see how long it lasts. I told her not to overload and I will do inspection once a year. Four months since repair so far so good.

So how is the washer in the long run......? Is it still in service?

#31 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Still running great. My wife loves it and I guess that is what matters. I told her not to overload it and I will inspect it once a year and hope for the best. Good luck to you. 

#32 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Well just put a SAV in service here @ the house I did complete replacement from inside seal on down......guess I will see if it's money well spent.

I found this washer on CL for $20 the guy claims he had it for 6 years and 4 of them were in storage...The condition of the washer is predestine and 2 years ago he took it out of storage to run it and claims it was getting louder and louder during the spin cycle.....hence a leaking tub seal destroyed inner tub bearing. 

My wife likes it so far....she says clothes are not as damp after the spin cycle compared to our other washer..... I will contribute that to the 710 RPM motor.

QUESTION: Since SQ bought this line can any one tell me the differences that SQ changed to improve this machine? Seems like a sound machine except for earlier comments

I will keep thread posted....thx all for the help.

IMG_9342_zps3734d59a.jpg

IMG_9341_zpsed38d71a.jpg

Edited by rolandvz71, 29 January 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#33 rolandvz71

rolandvz71

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Came home and found some water on floor......I expected the worst (tub seals)......turned out the pump stripped and was not pumping like it should. The basket was spinning and centrifugal force forced some of the water up over the outer tub and found its way on to the floor. Replaced pump and off and running again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics