Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

screw punctured dishwasher tub

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 obrien1984

obrien1984

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

I have an older Jenn-Air DW860UQW dishwasher with a problem that I'm pretty sure isn't in your FAQ.

The first time we turned on this dishwasher, we noticed that it was leaking under each corner. After removing the kick plate and fiddling with it for a long time, I figured out that the kickplate was attached with a screw that was just a little too long. The screw has punctured the tub on each corner. (I know it's not the door gasket because it leaks even when the door is open).

I can stop the leak simply by putting my finger in the crevice on the inside wall of the tub just below where the door meets the bottom of the tub when you close it. The puncture is so tiny that I can't even see it, but I can feel it. It's in a really difficult place to get to.

I'm trying to think of a clever way to fix this. The only thing I can think of is to apply a tiny drop of caulk, expanding foam, or some other goop into the screw hole and then put a (shorter) screw in. Part of the problem is that the screw hole is hard to get to.

Does the Appliantology community have any suggestions for me? Is there a way to seal this from inside the tub, maybe with some kind of adhesive? What kind of goop should I use to fill the hole?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

I had this exact same problem, customer had taken kick panel off then reinstalled screws so he didn't loose them.

I repaired/replaced the frozen up seals in the pump/motor assembly, tested everything. All was well and no leaks.

I removed the four screws that attach the kick plate that the customer had put screwed back into the holes so as not to loose them and installed the kick plate.

Started wrapping up all my tools while machine was still running and notice water leaking really bad all of the sudden in the right hand corner. Took a little to figure out where it was coming from since the hole from the screw is of course hiding behind the metal flange/lip that the screw goes into.

I filled the little pocket just below the end of the door gasket with epoxy bar putty, it fixed the leak up well, no more problems.

Any good epoxy product should work fine just fill in that little pocket area just below the end of the door gasket and your problem will be solved.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 phydeauxe64

phydeauxe64

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:"Double D" Turbo Coffee

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

I agree with the Budget guy you can get some JB Weld epoxy it's a 50/50 mixture and you can even get a water proof batch of the stuff. Look for it in the plumbing section of yer favorite hardware store. just remember to put the shorter screws in the top 2 holes use a magnetic nut driver or a pair of needle nose pliers to start the screws with. Hope this helps. :-)

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

Oh, is that the mysterious leaks that I can never seem to fix on the Maytag family of plastic tub dishwashers? I had two of these units where they leaked at the corners of the door. I wound up replacing: the door gasket, the detergent dispenser latch and grommet, the rinse aid dispenser, the door latch, the door liner AND the lower spray arm. I wound up refunding the customers money.

Maybe that's why some of the Whirlpool dishwashers on the market now have the kickplates held on with plastic clips.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics