Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Printman

Kenmore 90 Washer

17 posts in this topic

Samurai,

My Kenmore 90 washer makes a racheting and banging noise during the spin cycle. I have torn down the agitator and every thing looks good. I have read the other post on this subject and checked the suggested components.

If I hold the agitator duing the spin cycle the noise goes away and it works fine.

Could the cam brake cause this?

Thank you for your time.

John

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Could you please provide a model number so we can see what style of washer this is???

The model number is 110.26904691. Thanks!

Well, how 'bout them (agitator) dawgs?

Yep! Since they were so cheap I went ahead and replaced them even tho the old ones looked good. Replaced the drive block as well. I have inspected the cam brake and it looks ok, however, I have no measurements to go by.

The odd thing is that when I hold the agitator during the spin cycle, the problems go away?

Thanks for your help.

Ah, but did you replace the thrust bearing, too?  When I rebuild an agitator, I change out all them cheap little plastic guts.

Oh, kind Sir, do you have a picture/part number for that thrust bearing?

Thanks so much.

John

Just gut it and get the whole shootin' match:

00075485.jpg

Your right, I think I will. However, thats not the problem. You think the cam brake could cause this banging? I really dont see anything else that looks worn/broken.

[user=502]Printman[/user] wrote:

However, thats not the problem.

Elaborate.

Well the original problem was/is racheting and banging during spin cycle. The noise is coming from below the agitator. However, when I hold down the agitator the noise stops. Again, what about the brake cam>

Let me join in on this story line.  I'm having the exact same problem with my Kenmor series 90 (model # 110.20902990). During the spin cycle it makes a ratchting and banging noise.  When I remove all the plastic agitator parts, the banging stops, but the awlful ratchting noise is still there.  The sound is coming from under the tub.  I do not think the problem is with any of the plastic agitator parts, because the ratching sound is still there with them removed.

I replaced the Drive Block and the motor coupling (did not fix problem). I removed the transmission and looked at the clutch and the brake.  All looks fine here, but could this be the problem anyway? Also, all springs okay.  -- I"m at a standstill.

I'm starting to wonder about the transmission.  EXPLAINATION: - During the spin cycle (with the plastic agitator removed) the tub spins, and at the same time the center shaft is trying to agitate.  The ratchting sound matches the center shaft aggitating movement.  -- Is the center shaft supposed to agitate during spin cycle? (or should it spin also or just remain still)?  One more question: - Which direction is the tub supposed to spin?  -- (Maybe the tub is not reversing and spinning the right direction). 

If the agitator cycles back and forth while the tub is spinning, this explains why clothes are wrapped around or under the agitator. If so you have a bad transmission.

If you see a little attempt to cycle when dis-sassembled in spin-

but when the drum spins after re-assembly - the agitator follows it's direction, you are ok.

Yep, I agree with you. I have replaced all the cheap parts. I will change the brake cam today. I am also going to open the gearcase and look at the plastic parts, with a view toward changing them.

If all else fails, a rebuilt xmsn is $119.00. But I hope to avoid that by fixing the old gearcase. This is not rocket science, but it sure is time consuming.

Please let me know how you turn out and I will do the same.

John

Even with the plastic agitator on, it is agitating back & forth while spinning.  Make a heck of a noise.  I"m starting to guess that the transmission (gearbox) is the problem.  Is there any way to test it while it is out.

Ok, now that you have spelled out exactly what is happening, I can tell you exactly what part you need.

This is an internal transmission problem. The agitate cam inside the transmission has worn down so as when the transmission shifts out of agitate, the agitate gear doesn't disengage all the way.

The part you need: Part# 285206 Agitate cam CLICK HERE to order

It will be part ref# 13&14 in the attached picture

post-36-12904508491_thumb.jpeg

I fixed mine yesterday.  It was the transmission.  But instead of fixing it, I got a used one at an appliance junk yard we have here in town.  Paid $25.  Stuck it in and it worked like new.  I may go ahead and order the 2 parts you suggested and fix the old one.  Thanks to everyone for the help.  No new washer for my wife this time.