Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 90 Washer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Printman

Printman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:37 AM

Samurai,

My Kenmore 90 washer makes a racheting and banging noise during the spin cycle. I have torn down the agitator and every thing looks good. I have read the other post on this subject and checked the suggested components.

If I hold the agitator duing the spin cycle the noise goes away and it works fine.

Could the cam brake cause this?

Thank you for your time.

John

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:10 PM

Could you please provide a model number so we can see what style of washer this is???
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Printman

Printman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:43 PM

The model number is 110.26904691. Thanks!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

Well, how 'bout them (agitator) dawgs?

#5 Printman

Printman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:02 PM

Yep! Since they were so cheap I went ahead and replaced them even tho the old ones looked good. Replaced the drive block as well. I have inspected the cam brake and it looks ok, however, I have no measurements to go by.

The odd thing is that when I hold the agitator during the spin cycle, the problems go away?

Thanks for your help.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

Ah, but did you replace the thrust bearing, too?  When I rebuild an agitator, I change out all them cheap little plastic guts.

#7 Printman

Printman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

Oh, kind Sir, do you have a picture/part number for that thrust bearing?

Thanks so much.

John

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

Just gut it and get the whole shootin' match:

Posted Image

#9 Printman

Printman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

Your right, I think I will. However, thats not the problem. You think the cam brake could cause this banging? I really dont see anything else that looks worn/broken.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:52 PM

[user=502]Printman[/user] wrote:

However, thats not the problem.

Elaborate.

#11 Printman

Printman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:14 PM

Well the original problem was/is racheting and banging during spin cycle. The noise is coming from below the agitator. However, when I hold down the agitator the noise stops. Again, what about the brake cam>

#12 smoore9286

smoore9286

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:45 AM

Let me join in on this story line.  I'm having the exact same problem with my Kenmor series 90 (model # 110.20902990). During the spin cycle it makes a ratchting and banging noise.  When I remove all the plastic agitator parts, the banging stops, but the awlful ratchting noise is still there.  The sound is coming from under the tub.  I do not think the problem is with any of the plastic agitator parts, because the ratching sound is still there with them removed.

I replaced the Drive Block and the motor coupling (did not fix problem). I removed the transmission and looked at the clutch and the brake.  All looks fine here, but could this be the problem anyway? Also, all springs okay.  -- I"m at a standstill.

I'm starting to wonder about the transmission.  EXPLAINATION: - During the spin cycle (with the plastic agitator removed) the tub spins, and at the same time the center shaft is trying to agitate.  The ratchting sound matches the center shaft aggitating movement.  -- Is the center shaft supposed to agitate during spin cycle? (or should it spin also or just remain still)?  One more question: - Which direction is the tub supposed to spin?  -- (Maybe the tub is not reversing and spinning the right direction). 

#13 kingsx

kingsx

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:22 AM

If the agitator cycles back and forth while the tub is spinning, this explains why clothes are wrapped around or under the agitator. If so you have a bad transmission.

If you see a little attempt to cycle when dis-sassembled in spin-

but when the drum spins after re-assembly - the agitator follows it's direction, you are ok.

#14 Printman

Printman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:26 AM

Yep, I agree with you. I have replaced all the cheap parts. I will change the brake cam today. I am also going to open the gearcase and look at the plastic parts, with a view toward changing them.

If all else fails, a rebuilt xmsn is $119.00. But I hope to avoid that by fixing the old gearcase. This is not rocket science, but it sure is time consuming.

Please let me know how you turn out and I will do the same.

John

#15 smoore9286

smoore9286

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:39 AM

Even with the plastic agitator on, it is agitating back & forth while spinning.  Make a heck of a noise.  I"m starting to guess that the transmission (gearbox) is the problem.  Is there any way to test it while it is out.

#16 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

Ok, now that you have spelled out exactly what is happening, I can tell you exactly what part you need.

This is an internal transmission problem. The agitate cam inside the transmission has worn down so as when the transmission shifts out of agitate, the agitate gear doesn't disengage all the way.

The part you need: Part# 285206 Agitate cam CLICK HERE to order

It will be part ref# 13&14 in the attached picture

Attached Files

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#17 smoore9286

smoore9286

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:42 AM

I fixed mine yesterday.  It was the transmission.  But instead of fixing it, I got a used one at an appliance junk yard we have here in town.  Paid $25.  Stuck it in and it worked like new.  I may go ahead and order the 2 parts you suggested and fix the old one.  Thanks to everyone for the help.  No new washer for my wife this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics