Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Trouble finding CustomCool cover for GE Arctica PSS27SGNABS

GE Arctica PSS27SGNABS CustomCool

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dingfod

dingfod

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Moose Drool

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

(hope the pictures are helpful)

When it's all put together and functioning correctly, my CustomCool drawer looks like this. But, one of the flimsy tabs that slide the top cover back as the drawer is opened (like this) has broken so that what should look like this now looks like this and this.

So I went here and bought part number WR32X10885 (#491 in the diagram), which appears to be the cover I need. Here's the embossed part number from the underside of my cover.

What I received was this part with a small sheet of paper. This updated part doesn't fit in the bottom compartment of my fridge since there's a fan down there that blows air into the CustomCool drawer. You can see that my top assembly is shaped differently.

I am fairly certain I'm looking at the correct diagrams for my fridge, but it seems GE has sent me a part that replaces my original cover. Any idea how I can get the correct cover?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Your look-up appears to be correct, I looked up on another site and it shows the same picture.

Part ref#489 the name plate insert and the main upper cover that has the broken tab ref#491 both resolve to part# WR32X10885 which is what you ordered.

On the RepairClinic site it shows the part looking like your original part but you would most likely receive the same redesigned part that you received from APP

Here's the RepairClinic part shown for part# WR32X10885
http://www.repaircli...2X10885/2304619
Posted Image

No place to put the emblem insert that your original one has but that really wouldn't matter, just cosmetics.

The embossed part# isn't going to be of any help, it's a production number and nothing that I know of to cross it to actual GE part numbers.

Did you check to make sure the new part you received was actually part# WR32X10885 on the package?

I've never seen or worked on one of these custom cool drawers so have no idea how it works or is set up. It looks like when the drawer is opened the old design lifted the front top cover section and made it slide back slightly, I don't see how that would happen with the new one piece design unless maybe you have to remove more parts of the custom cool drawer cover and then replace with the new one piece cover that maybe doesn't lift and slide back?

To me the new part appears to be a cover for a different pan then the custom cool drawer from the pictures, no foam seal to go around the fan unit in back that your original has and totally different shape in back. Also, top would be totally open with the new part that you received, appears it should have a glass cover.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 18 September 2012 - 06:36 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 dingfod

dingfod

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Moose Drool

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Did you check to make sure the new part you received was actually part# WR32X10885 on the package?

The part number on the outside of the box, matches what I ordered.

It looks like when the drawer is opened the old design lifted the front top cover section and made it slide back slightly, I don't see how that would happen with the new one piece design unless maybe you have to remove more parts of the custom cool drawer cover and then replace with the new one piece cover that maybe doesn't lift and slide back?

I thought about that, but the new part doesn't have any way to fit in my existing refer bottom and I can't remove any more parts from my current broken part that would fit on the new part.

To me the new part appears to be a cover for a different pan then the custom cool drawer from the pictures, no foam seal to go around the fan unit in back that your original has and totally different shape in back. Also, top would be totally open with the new part that you received, appears it should have a glass cover.

My feelings, too - wrong part for my fridge, although I think I've ordered exactly what I need. If the part that arrived would have been exactly what's in the diagram then I'd be all set. I'm working on returning the incorrect part, but have no idea how I'll get the part that I need. Any ideas?

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

Only idea that comes to mind is to call RepairClinic about the part and see if someone can verify that the part in the box is the same as the picture on the website, (just the cover section like your original part that attaches to your existing good top and lever parts).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GE, Arctica, PSS27SGNABS, CustomCool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics