Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

CURSED ELECTROLUX FRIDGE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

MD. E23CS78ESS0
SER. 4A64227322

I'll spare the horrid history of this job and get straight to the point.

I've replaced pretty much every relay/computer board in the fridge, minus the inverter.
The problem that is happening, is, when you close the freezer door, the ice/water dispenser touchpad will light up, the lights on the ice/water paddles light up, and the most peculiar thing, is that the ice auger inside the freezer will kick out ice through the dispenser, until you open the freezer door up.

I've replaced the dispenser relay board twice, which i'm kinda feeling like both parts were bad from my parts company.
The first board was replaced by my tech, and the touch panel wouldn't light up, but when we re-installed the old relay board, the touch panel lit up.
The 2nd board, I personally installed, and after closer examination, I realized a Capacitor was completely missing.

So, we installed the main computer, and the control housing right next to it, which I don't even know what the hell the control housing does, with the original dispenser relay board, and we still got the same symptom.

So considering the relay control board I had was bad, and i replaced all computer boards, I'm still thinking that the dispenser board is bad.
I'm ordering another board, and i'm going to try one last time.

Does anybody have any insight on this?
Does anybody think it is the dispenser relay board??
Thanks!
Anthony
Dons Appliances

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

With electronic control boards, anything is possible.

The manufacturers have gone crazy with their electronic controls. I find it ridiculous that we even need electronic controls in a refrigerator, but I guess it's their only way for the manufacturers to meet the strict energy saving mandates.
Scott Wolf

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

just a note: :whistling:
Dispenser Switches must be connected
Orange wire = Normally Closed Terminal on the Water Dispenser Switch
Grey wire= Normally Closed Terminal on Ice Dispenser Switch
Brown wire = Common Terminal (to both Switches)
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that there isnt a GFI anywhere in the power supply line from the breaker box to the fridge.We had one a few years back, same scenario. Turned out the fridge circuit was wired with a gfi outlet behind the toaster on the backsplash. Someday ill tell you about the one where the lower plug on the outlet behind the fridge was wired to the light switch on the wall going to the overhead kitchen light. Tech unplugged the ref for an unrelated repair, the plugged it into the bottom plug. Intermittent problem, always working great when the tech came out. At night the light got turned out, no fridge. only cost sears a new fridge and about 6 service calls to figure that one out.

Im asssuming that you checked the polarity and ground also, right?
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#5 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Ill double check the micro switches, im not sure about the polarity or the ground, ill check that too.
im going back with a new dispenser relay board, at least i hope it is!
ill let ya know what i find!

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

With electronic control boards, anything is possible.

The manufacturers have gone crazy with their electronic controls. I find it ridiculous that we even need electronic controls in a refrigerator, but I guess it's their only way for the manufacturers to meet the strict energy saving mandates.

Who needs a fridge repairman when these boards are fool proof and self diagnosing? This is their concept but the following is the reality:

Had repair call on a samsung fridge yesterday (keep trying to avoid doing those damn things but once again, they pulled me back in). The customer bought the fridge from Best Buy a few years ago and all of the previous "repairs" were done by Best Buy's warranty servicemen..."the Geek Squad!" I did not know they repaired fridges. Anyhow, the customer was not impressed since he could tell the geeky repairman knew how to read diagnostics from the main board but did not seem to have any mechanical knowledge. At that time, he ( or is it "they" since he is supposedly a "squad") correctly determined the damper would not open and needed replacing. The geeky one then proceeded to prop open the damper with some cardboard and ordered a new damper. In the inteim, the propped open damper froze and cracked the water filter housing. Subsequently, the geekster retuned and replaced the damper. Later that night, the fresh food section achieved the proper temps and the newly replaced damper door closed. Much later that night, actually in the wee hours of the morning, the cracked filter housing thawed. The next crew Best Buy sent provided customer with new floors to replaced the water damaged floors in the kitchen and dining room. The fridge had many more problems that were never fixed correctly and now it's out of warranty. Now the compressor is burned out due to installation of incorrect condenser fan. Well at least the customer got some really really nice floors. Long live electronic controls!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 21 September 2012 - 06:38 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

(from the Sopranos)" just when i thought i was out, they pulled me back in"... No good deed ever goes unpunished
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics