Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Washer: protecting it from freezing?

washer freeze winterize

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russell Terrier

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Allagash White

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Here is an interesting question: How can you easily freeze-proof a front loading washer? I have a friend with a cabin high (10,000+ feet above seal level), and sometimes it is vacant in the wintertime with no heat and the temperature inside drops below freezing. The house is designed to be easily freeze-proof (mostly by draining water), but how do you do this with a washer?

Of course washers (front loaders) all have a drain tube by the pump and that is easy to empty. But is this enough? LG and other companies don't want to say more, and sometimes will recommend running a cycle with an anti-freeze product, but this is not acceptable.

Open ended question here: What ideas might you have to deal with this problem?

Thanks

Jack Russell Terrier

ps Please don't say heat the cabin, because that is not an option!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Use RV anti freeze. It is perfectly acceptable for use in major appliances, toilets, drain pipes, etc. and it is non toxic. It is pink in color.
Scott Wolf

#3 Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russell Terrier

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Allagash White

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Wolf! I guess we are aware of this option, but hoping for another. One obvious question --- how susceptible to freezing is a washer if the pump drain hose is emptied? Second question: Is there a model that is designed well for this issue (easy and thorough draining)?

-JRT

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

It is not susceptible to freezing in all water has been emptied from the drain hose and the drain pump.

None of the washers are better or worse for draining all the water out.
Scott Wolf

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

yes, RV anti-freeze .. pink
although the other antifreeze (green or yellow ethylene glycol) is also orange now.
The RV antifreeze usually comes in clear round jugs that look like windshield washer fluid..
Posted Image Posted Image
$ 1.00 :whistling:
old picture ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

You should also disconnect the fill hoses and drain any water from the water valve to prevent any surprises upon startup
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics