Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Gas Stove Igniter/lighting problem

Jenn Air lighting problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russell Terrier

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Allagash White

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hello,

I have an older Jenn Air range with a gas cooktop. The model is SVD8310S. The problem is that the gas does not light quickly, and it is very sensitive to the positioning of the burner module. Sliding it forward or backwards just a 1/4" makes a difference.

I replaced the ingniter a few years ago, and it seems to work fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

JRT

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russell Terrier

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Correction -- I said it is sensitive to the position of the gas module, but I meant the burner pan, the tray that goes over the burner module. -JRT

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,389 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

If you remove the burner drip pan, you'll see there's a tab at one end that sticks into a hole in the stove top frame. See photo on this page == http://www.repaircli...Number=SVD8310S

If that tab is bent or broken, it won't actuate the switch and you'll need to replace the drip pan.

The switch itself could be loose or its actuating lever bent.

#4 Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russell Terrier

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

I need more help..... What does this switch do that you refere to?

To explain some more, the igniter is working, it just takes a while for the gas to ignite. Moving the burner drip pan affects how quickly the gas ignites.

THANKS.

JRT

#5 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

If I remember correctly, that prong on the drip pan opens the circuit for the down draft fan motor...............If you have the grill assy , you will find no tab on that...........With no prong , when you turn on the gas valve, the fan motor switch stays closed, fan starts .....................Look close to gass ignition ports on the burner tube, clean and clear of food debris???.........tube clear of 'stuff'????

Edited by certified tech group 51, 22 September 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#6 Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russell Terrier

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Is there a great repair person in Denver, CO that is interested in taking a look at my issue?

Thanks

JRT

#7 Gatsumi

Gatsumi

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

Remove the burner head, venturi tube. check the pilot feed tube for deterioation. If it is rusted or mis-shapen the fuel will not reach the ignitor. also facing the pilot feed tube on the side of the burner head are several small holes. make sure they are clear. The burner heads shoot fuel to the ignitors, it lights and burns back to the flame head.

#8 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Never hurts to clean out the pilot holes in the burner with a broach or some other suitable implement.
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics