Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

maytag neptune mah8700aww

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 appmed1

appmed1

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:burning skye

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Could I get a copy of the technical bulletin regarding excessive vibration for this machine?

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

this machine was known for excessive vibration they came out with a new control board that was suppose to combat the vibration but it really never helped maytag swapped many of these out there was a little joke going around that this machine help bankrupt maytag and brought down the company really not true becasue at the end all of maytag laundry sucked

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

this machine was known for excessive vibration they came out with a new control board that was suppose to combat the vibration but it really never helped maytag swapped many of these out there was a little joke going around that this machine help bankrupt maytag and brought down the company really not true becasue at the end all of maytag laundry sucked

I have to agree with you, they slowly phased out the Dependable Care washer and dryer which were the best washer and dryer on the market because production costs to build them were too expensive and they weren't energy efficient. Sad, really.
Scott Wolf

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Attached Files

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

All because of that wax motor The arrogant engineering dept was convinced that the wax motor was the way to go, with a ridiculous linkage and microswitch assy that never really lined up properly and the motor itself which drew .9 amps, thus taking out r11 on the board. Overly complicated expensive to make and unreliable Stupid Stupid Stupid. One faction in the R& D dept wanted to buy a working door latch assy such as the whirlpool Duet or bosch. Tried and true, solenoid operated and a third of the cost to boot. The wax motor faction won out of course and the rest is history. I guess you could say that the wax motor helped bring down Maytag. I always thought the Neptune was a pretty good platform for the most part. Still quite a few of them out there.

N ot
E nough
P arts
T o
U ndo
N
N egative
E ngineering
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#6 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

this machine was not one of the neptune with the wax motors this i think was a samsung built

#7 appmed1

appmed1

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Has anyone had any success reducing the vibration. The machine is about 8 years old. The customer thinks it is getting worse.
Thanks.

#8 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

first question is it on a cement floor or a wood floor if its on a wood floor trouble

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

All because of that wax motor The arrogant engineering dept was convinced that the wax motor was the way to go, with a ridiculous linkage and microswitch assy that never really lined up properly and the motor itself which drew .9 amps, thus taking out r11 on the board. Overly complicated expensive to make and unreliable Stupid Stupid Stupid. One faction in the R& D dept wanted to buy a working door latch assy such as the whirlpool Duet or bosch. Tried and true, solenoid operated and a third of the cost to boot. The wax motor faction won out of course and the rest is history. I guess you could say that the wax motor helped bring down Maytag. I always thought the Neptune was a pretty good platform for the most part. Still quite a few of them out there.

N ot
E nough
P arts
T o
U ndo
N
N egative
E ngineering

Another sad thing about the original Neptune washers such as the MAH3000AWW, MAH4000AWW and the MAH5500AWW is that I had a meeting with one of the engineers who designed these washers before they were released for sale to the public when I worked for Maytag Factory Service. I had pointed out all the trouble spots to him such as the wax motor, the door boot not having a drain to get rid of excess water, etc. He then told sales and the CEO of Maytag at the time they should change the wax motor to a solenoid and there should be a drain in the door boot. The CEO told him "Nope, we need to get the machine on the market ASAP. If there are problems with those two issues we will fix it in the field."

Edited by Scottthewolf, 24 September 2012 - 09:23 PM.

Scott Wolf

#10 appmed1

appmed1

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

It's on a wood floor

#11 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

thats sad how much do u think those wax motors R11 contorl boards class action suits cost maytag ahhhhh the company that whrilpool owns

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

thats sad how much do u think those wax motors R11 contorl boards class action suits cost maytag ahhhhh the company that whrilpool owns

Don't forget all the time and free labor Maytag spent replacing the door boots with door boots that have a drain as they called them "Boot enhancement/PHA kits" and the underdesigned motor control boards being replaced with motor control board kits which consisted of a beefed up motor control board and a beefed up motor. Everytime I worked on these washers I heard the sound of money being drained out of Maytag's profits.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics