Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 417.94812301 Complaints

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cowboy Coffee

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Konichiwa Y'all,

Got a rental house with a Kenmore Stackable Laundry and the tenant has expressed gentle dissatisfaction that their clothes are not getting clean. Their claim is that there's insufficient agitation or that their laundry generally still has stains and/or residue on it after washing.

Finally got there to run the machine through a cycle and at first glance it appears to be working as it should. Fills fine (both hot and cold are running fine). Spoofed the lid switch and put my hand on the agitator and I can slow it down a little but not stop it from twisting. Empties just fine (saw some posts here that that said a blocked drain can cause gunk problems) and spins great. In general everything seems to be working perfectly.

I guess I'll open it up to confirm that there's no blockages in the draining path. Anyone got any other ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Took off the hoses fore and aft of the drain pump and if only my arteries were so clean. Now what?

Edited by Randini, 23 September 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#3 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

post video of wash cycle with lid up and we can tell you if its working normally

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

Check to make sure the top auger section of the agitator only turn in one direction and locks when trying to turn in other direction and do the same thing for the spin basket.

Good chance you are going to find that the spin basket will spin freely in both directions, if that is the case you would need to replace the transmission to fix the problem, (makes for very poor agitation when basket moves in both directions freely along with the clothes).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

When the machine is off I can only turn the agitator in one direction and the basket in the other.

Put a medium load of actual clothing in and am running a load now with the lid open (bamboo skewer holds the lid switch down).

The basket is definitely only going one way. The agitator is eventually turning but often losing almost or as much ground as it gains on each twist. Overall it's going around, however.

The laundry is swirling pretty rapidly around the basket and I can see clear "convection" (probably not the proper appliantology term, the clothes are churning top to bottom in a big toroidal/donut pattern).

This all looks pretty much like it should to me. Or should the agitator not be losing any ground?

Does this help?

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

Sounds like the agitator is worn.

http://www.repaircli...31605901/407833
Scott Wolf

#7 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

Should it be stopping on the backspin like the basket?

Need a whole new agitator or a cam repair kit?

Also noticed that even on warm settings it fills with cold water. Turned down the cold faucet until warm felt warm. The supply pipes are the last bit of galvanized in the house and I suspect the hot side has limited flow. It'll fill slower now but I'm not ready to tear pipes out.

#8 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

OK, I think this is becoming clear. If I fill it with no clothes in and run it with the lid up, the bottom of the agitator is cycling back and forth like a champ. If I put my hand on the top of the agitator, it twists with no backsliding and makes a definite overall clockwise rotation. If I take my hand off, it flails back and forth pretty much with the bottom and in fact accomplishes an overall counterclockwise rotation with lots of backsliding.

I don't see a agitator cam/repair kit for this exact model number, can anyone point me to the right part number?

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

As the wash basket indexes, the agitator should be turning.

You need to replace the whole agitator, a cam repair kit is not available for this washer.

Most washer manufacturers have changed the water inlet valves to 60 percent cold fill, 40 percent hot fill to save energy. Older washers had 50 percent cold 50 percent hot fill.
Scott Wolf

#10 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Ordered the part, it installed without a hitch and when running the top half of the agitator did seem to be indexing more consistently than the previous. But as I was getting in the car the tenant came out and said it was slipping.

Sure enough, if I tried to spin the top half backward it slipped and with a nasty ratcheting noise. Took it out and put the old one back in and put the new one back in the box.

Thinking the part was defective, called the source this morning and in the course of explaining the situation tried to make it make that ratcheting noise again for them to hear. And now the thing works right: can't make it rotate backwards at all.

A closer look into the top of the thing clarifies a few things. First, why they don't sell a cam repair kit for this one. Instead of three swiveling "dogs" it has three tracks of diminishing radius that force three doowickeys (technical term) between the surfaces of the inner and outer agitator (lower and upper). No easy way to rebuild that.

Second, the only difference between last night and this morning is that the unit is dry now. And I'm betting if those tracks and doowickeys were wet they could be convinced to slip. Is it a reasonable guess that in reassembling the beast I failed to seat the cap/seal properly and water got in there?

OK, I might have just proved it. Got it wet and now it slips.

Anyone else seen this situation? Any confirmation before I put it back in?

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Like everything about these Frigidaire built washers, just weak design. You very well could have received a new agitator that is defective.

Try for a replacement and hope it's better!!!!!
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

Back a few posts you said the basket was rotating with each agitation stroke. Just humor an old searsie and look at the center of the base and teel me that the shipping bolt isnt still in the hole. standing by....
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

. Just humor an old searsie and look at the center of the base and teel me that the shipping bolt isnt still in the hole. standing by ..

Shipping Bolt # 37
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Usually bright Yellow in color
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#15 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Usually bright Yellow in color

aahh, yes
Posted Image

#16 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

....(theme music from Jeapardy...dooo dee do do...)
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#17 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

What I meant was the basket also indexes, moves a partial turn on each twist.

Will probably be Monday might before I get back to the rental but I'll let you know about the shipping bolt.

#18 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Tenant reports no shipping bolt. Also, what I thought they reported as the agitator cams slipping (ratchety sound when I heard it) is instead some kind of "clunk" that only happens with the new agitator.

Have had good recommendations for a local pro, will call him in to troubleshoot. Frankly, I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with the damned thing.

Will keep you posted.

#19 Randini

Randini

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

The good news is I found a very highly recommended pro and asked him to take a look. The bad news is he doesn't work in the part of town where the machine is. The other good news is he spent some time on the phone with me and suggested I check the drive block (http://www.repaircli...4418700/1170670). Said it should have no play on the transmission shaft.

Will check this and let you know.

#20 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

post video of wash cycle with lid up ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics