Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nalsalam

Frigidaire front loader - does not agitate or do high speed spin

11 posts in this topic

Patient: Frigidaire Gallery Series Laundry Center -- combo front loading washer & gas dryer. Model# GLGH1642FS0 circa 2007.

Symptoms: I start a cycle. Door light comes on and door is locked. Washer fills with water, drum tumbles a couple of times, water is pumped out. No washing (agitating) takes place. Washer fills with water again. Drum tumbles a couple of times, water is pumped out. No rinsing (agitating) actually takes place. The timer is advancing but far too quickly. No spinning occurs. Clothes left sopping wet. The whole cycle "completes" in a fraction of the usual time.

I found the schematic which has a series of troubleshooting steps for "Motor will not run" -- of course, the motor will run in my case. Nevertheless, to keep myself busy, I checked the voltage between pins 5 & 6 of the speed control unit (step 3). No voltage.

Any diagnosis? What surgery might be called for? Thanks for your help.

Nabeel

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You might still have a bad door lock assembly.

Follow the instructions on the tech sheet that you found to run a test cycle. Pay very close attention to the high speed spin test. If the machine runs in high speed spin in the test cycle, you have a bad door lock assembly. The test cycle bypasses the door lock assembly.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Lock/131763202/1531974

1 person likes this

Thanks for the manual! I'll use it to troubleshoot before ordering parts. I don't want to be a parts replacing monkey. :-)

I replaced the motor controller board and everything is back to normal. Yay! And thanks!

BTW, the service manual isn't very clear about where to do the measurements. For example, it says things like "remove pin X from the Y pin connector". Does it mean that literally? If so, which side -- male or female? Same problem when it says to measure the voltage across pins X & Y. Which side? However, starting with the basic symptoms, the manual seemed to narrow things down to the motor controller board or the timer and because the timer was advancing I guessed that the motor controller board was the problem.

... For example, it says things like "remove pin X

where ?

I don't think it says that ...

OK, that was a paraphrase. On page 82, it says "Disconnect the six and ten pin plugs from the speed control board". I looked at the board and saw that all the pins are soldered to the circuit board. Does the manual really intend for me to unsolder those pins? I doubt it. That is why I say it is not clear.

Oops my bad. It says to disconnect the six and ten pin PLUGs. Very embarrassing.

Also since it says "pins" and the plug side is female. I assume all the measurements are to be taken off the control board.

I need to take back my statement that the manual was unclear. I read too quickly.

... Also since it says "pins" and the plug side is female. I assume all the measurements are to be taken off the control board.

... I need to take back my statement that the manual was unclear. I read too quickly.

Disconnect the six & ten pin plugs from the speed control board.

Measure the voltage drop between pin 5 of the six pin plug

& pins 1, 2, 6, 9, & 10 of the ten pin plug.

Wow. I again misread. What can I say? Thanks for the education.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0