Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag, Whirlpool top load "fill sensor"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Working on an MVWC6ESWW1, I notice the fairly reliable 3 wire water level switch has been replaced by a "sensor" with 14 wires. The diagram shows only a box, and these things seem really touchy.
They also come with a new style timer. No going back, apparently.

Does anyone have any information on troubleshooting these things?

Daniel

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

What is the problem with the machine?
Scott Wolf

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

If it fills a little and then starts draining or start agitating and filling at the same time, then replace the ATC switch. Expensive switch but such a common problem that I keep one in the Guru Mobile ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=MVWC6ESWW1

Posted Image

#4 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Problem call is no fill. After replacement, it worked for a day, then would not agitate after filling, eventually would not fill, either. They showed me low suds detergent they use.

Replaced a second time. In testing, I notice it will stop filling and stop agitating- until the timer knob is turned a full cycle- if you disturb it in any way, like taking off hose to pressure test, or sometimes even opening the lid.

This may be a customer education issue, as this bulletin hopefully describes:
fill sensor.pdf

But I notice with the new timer there is no going back. This is one more straw in the load that leads to the following rant:

!!! warning---extended whining below---!!!

"Why do they screw things up that worked so well, and were simple to fix when they broke? What happened to the no frills, no computer top loader that was good for 25 years?

Can we strap on our tool belts and demand manufacturers at least have one solid model of washer, dryer, stove and fridge from the 1980's? There is nothing I can recommend today when asked for something as reliable as Mom had when they were growing up. We all know it, just like we all knew the housing crisis was doomed to break.

New appliances give me all the work I could ever do, but at what cost to the overall economy?

Is there a venture capitalist out there who would make a reliable, inexpensive washer/fridge, etc. with mechanical controls? It has been done before..."

Attached Files

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

Problem call is no fill. After replacement, it worked for a day, then would not agitate after filling, eventually would not fill, either. They showed me low suds detergent they use.

Replaced a second time. In testing, I notice it will stop filling and stop agitating- until the timer knob is turned a full cycle- if you disturb it in any way, like taking off hose to pressure test, or sometimes even opening the lid.

This may be a customer education issue, as this bulletin hopefully describes:
fill sensor.pdf

But I notice with the new timer there is no going back. This is one more straw in the load that leads to the following rant:

!!! warning---extended whining below---!!!

"Why do they screw things up that worked so well, and were simple to fix when they broke? What happened to the no frills, no computer top loader that was good for 25 years?

Can we strap on our tool belts and demand manufacturers at least have one solid model of washer, dryer, stove and fridge from the 1980's? There is nothing I can recommend today when asked for something as reliable as Mom had when they were growing up. We all know it, just like we all knew the housing crisis was doomed to break.

New appliances give me all the work I could ever do, but at what cost to the overall economy?

Is there a venture capitalist out there who would make a reliable, inexpensive washer/fridge, etc. with mechanical controls? It has been done before..."

Blame the government, THE EPA and Energy Star for giving manufacturers the mandates that appliances can only use a certain amount of energy and water.
Scott Wolf

#6 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

buy used !!!!!

I just sold a 1968 kenmore 600 washer and dryer pair for $850.00 , it was like new , i went over it , new belts , and a water pump , with one year parts , 90 days labor

all my older units sell fast , people are fed up and want something good for a change

all of these used sales come with the same story
"we have owned 1-2-3 or more front loaders in the last 5 years and will never own another"

fine with me
SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#7 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

True that is, but hard to find they are. Like old growth timber.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

the Whirlpool direct drive top loaders aren't made anymore, but new ones are still for sale out there
$ 249 on sale within the last year, but now about $ 400

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics