Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Shaky LG WM3987HW

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ithaca Flower Power

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

I've been trying to get my new $1400 LG washer dryer combo to work for a few days. This is a unit that brags of its anti vibration system and has a Spinsense mode that is supposed to give you even more stability magic and result in a nice quiet spin cycle. The user manual says that the machine should be on a rigid floor that has less than 1 degree of slope. There are leveling feet to address this. When I level the machine with these, it shakes. In the manual it says that you really shouldn't extend the leveling feet too far or the machine will shake. Nice of them to make leveling feet that are too long to work, but so it goes.

So I've leveled the machine using a wooden base under the one edge and not extended the feet at all. And the machine shakes.

Over many attempts I've not been able to get this machine to work. It is located on the upper floor of my house which is 140 year old row house that is pretty damn overbuilt and solid. I would never normally look at that floor and qualify it as anything other than "rigid". However, in the user manual it does say this, "If the floor is not solid, your washer may vibrate and you may hear and feel vibration throughout your house".

I'm guessing my floor is not solid enough. It is possible that there is something wrong with the machine? (and yes I have removed the shipping bolts).

I have only found people saying lovely things about this machine online and they seem to be using it in similar scenarios.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

<<<This is a unit that brags of its anti vibration system and has a Spinsense mode that is supposed to give you even more stability magic and result in a nice quiet spin cycle.>>>

Spin Sense and True Balance are entirely different systems.

The "combo" SERIAL NUMBER is needed to understand/know which system the unit has.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

207KWLR2S080

It says right on the front "True Balance Anti Vibration System" Then in the manual it tells you how you can invoke SPINSENSE as well if you are having vibration issues. This is done by holding the STAIN CYCLE button for 3 seconds. The light for the spin cycle then blinks continuously to indicate you are in SPINSENSE.

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

<<<207KWLR2S080>>>

This has to be an error.

Possibly the first digit is a "9" ?

<<<It says right on the front "True Balance Anti Vibration System">>>

TRUE BALANCE was introduced in November 2008.

The model that you're servicing was most likely manufactured in 2009---later models did *not* have the SPIN SENSE option (discontinued).

SPIN SENSE is a software feature.

During the Spin Cycle---if the spinning tub becomes excessively imbalanced (repeat,severely shaking)---the SPIN SENSE program will become "enabled" (wakes up) and begins to slow the spinning tub by 50 RPMs to reduce the severity of the imbalanced condition.
SPIN SENSE *does not* cancel-out vibration/shaking etc---just slows the tub to a lower RPM.
Very low-tech.

TRUE BALANCE is also a software program.

TRUE BALANCE monitors an imbalanced load condition during the spin cycle---through the HALL EFFECT SENSOR (feedback).

The "profile" of a spin cycle in an LG washer equipped with TRUE BALANCE is as follows...

1) 0 rpm to 400 rpm: Slight low-rpm wobble of the tub/clicking/clacking/spring-tension sounds/outer washer shell rocking motion

2) 400 rpm to full spin speed: Little to no outer cabinet shaking or noises (normal spin noise).

3) 400 rpm to stop: During coast-to-stop at the end of the spin cycle---a brief period of wobble/noise occurs (normal)

The TRUE BALNCE system works very effectively provided that...

1) Washer is installed on a wood floor of minimum "robust-build quality" (a step above mobile home type flooring)

2) Level washer. When leveled---put away the leveling tool---it will not be needed again.

3) Add a single wet towel to the washer tub (to mimic an imbalaced-load condition).

4) Turn on washer

5) Press the SPIN SPEED button and select the highest/fastest spin speed setting

6) Press the START button

7) When the washer displays "9 minutes"---place a finger at the edge of each of the front leveling legs/feet.
When the tub begins to accelerate---identify which of the front legs begins to "hop" up/down from the floor
Use the LG thin-wrench to adjust the leg until the "hopping" stops.
Lock all 4 leveling legs (prevents out-of-adjustment over time)
Since there's a single wet towel in the tub---it's impossible to balance the tub.
Make every effort (patience) to best adjust the leg to minimize the up/down/hopping movement of the front leg.

Later---when normal-sized loads are added to the tub for a laundry cycle---the washer will have the capability to more
evenly spread and balance the wet load of laundry during the period prior to high speed spin.

Inform the customer that TRUE BALANCE is *not* 100% silky smooth spin cycle performance.

There are 2 areas of the spin cycle in which noise/shake will occur (severity depends on load weight). The first being the "ramp-up" period of the spin cycle (under 400 rpm) and the second---during coast-to-stop at the end of the spin cycle (400 rpm to zero).

Edited by john63, 26 September 2012 - 11:01 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Has anyone ever tried these with any sucess?

http://www.repaircli...ke away pads-==
Scott Wolf

#6 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Reduces *noise* but not shaking.

Best used in older non-vibration-canellation model front load washers.

Should never be used on newer anti-vibration washers (LG "True Balance"/Samsung "VRT"/etc)
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#7 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

I've checked.That is the serial number.

The floor this is on is 3/4 inch tongue and groove wood over 2 x 12's. I would describe it as quite robust.

I just purchased this machine and assumed it was made in 2012, not prior to 2009.

During the spin cycle it shakes some as you mention as the low speeds but also at the highest speeds.

#8 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

I spoke with LG and they claim that based on the serial number the unit was manufactured in July 2012.

#9 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Odd.

It's possible that LG kept the SPIN SENSE feature/option on *combo* washer/dryer but not for the washer-only.

It's also possible that the late-model SPIN SENSE (in combo units) feature has a different profile/correction than originally used in standard front load washers (additional corrective action(s) other than a reduction of tub spin speed by 50 rpm).

A Training Seminar is coming up in November for the new LG "MegaWasher". I'll be asking the instructor to provide information on the SPIN SENSE function for clarification.

<<<During the spin cycle it shakes some as you mention as the low speeds but also at the highest speeds.>>>

Have you tried leveling/balancing the unit during an *imbalanced load* spin cycle?
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#10 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I've tried running this thing every which way, have leveled it while unbalanced, moved it, tried all sorts of laundry combinations but nothing is working.

The local LG person is coming to look at it next week. I don't have much confidence in that as I doubt the person has ever serviced one of these and they will just be going down a check list but I need to go through that process. If all the machines function this way I don't think they would be very useful. Perhaps something is wrong with the machine and the LG person will say so.

I've also tried the rubber anti vibration things they sell. No luck with those either.

#11 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Have you checked that all the shock absorbers are in good shape?
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics