Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE PFS22SISBSS Freezer Not Cold Enough

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 billpartsch

billpartsch

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yuengling

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Oh, Mighty Samurai:

Unfortunately, our home came with a GE PFS22SISBSS refrigerator, serial starting with AL. I replaced the muthaboard once already when the freezer temp went up to 15. (Tech checked the appliance, noticed fan wasn't spinning, said it was the board, ordered it, and then I installed the board myself and saved at least a hundred bucks. I didn't know then about the recall and don't know now if my unit would be covered.)

Now the freezer fluctuates daily between the low 20s and a smidge below zero. It makes ice and everything stays pretty frozen except the The refrigerator seems to stay in the 36-40 range. The fan is running. I replaced the two thermistors in the freezer. I checked the J2 plug today; both pin 3 to pin 5 and pin 3 to pin 8 came up at over 13vdc on a digital meter. (Maybe I didn't use it properly?) I also noticed that the compressor kicks on for a second or two and then conks out, as though it has forgotten what it meant to say. I've read around your forums, but alas, I am confused as to whether the problem is due to a defrost component, the compressor start relay, the muthaboard or what.

I'd appreciate it greatly if you could guide me on finding a diagnosis. Specifically, how do I use the multi meter to check for the appropriate symptoms, and where exactly on the appliance I should be placing each probe?

Thank you very much.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

... PFS22SISBSS refrigerator, serial starting with AL.
... I replaced the muthaboard once already
... J2 plug today; both pin 3 to pin 5 and pin 3 to pin 8 came up at over 13vdc on a digital meter.
... also noticed that the compressor kicks on for a second or two and then conks out,

1) MB and Evaporator Fan would have been under recall
2) a bad Evaporator Fan can ruin the MB
3)
J2.3 Fan common / J2 pin 3 to pin 8 = 12 VDC
J2.5 Condenser fan / J2 pin 5 to pin 3 = 13.4 VDC
J2.8 Fan supply voltage

4) sounds like a bad Compressor Start Relay
may be your only problem
http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1265640

Start-Device-WR07X10097-00783308.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 billpartsch

billpartsch

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yuengling

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the prompt response. I suspected the relay was the culprit, and I should find out by Thursday when the part should arrive.

1) MB and Evaporator Fan would have been under recall
2) a bad Evaporator Fan can ruin the MB

Does the above mean that badgering GE customer service won't get me free replacements anymore? Just curious, but if the relay doesn't remedy the situation, I may become more than just curious.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

I don't know, but the Relay could cause all of your current symptoms.
May depend if your serial number has been marked as a MB replacement in that recall.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics