Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Little dead black fruit flies in freezer compartment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DIYGranny

DIYGranny

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Don't drink it

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

I have been finding these in my freezer compartment lately. 5-6 dead ones towards the front of the freezer compartment. I clean them up but next time I open it, there are more.

About 6 months ago this unit froze up due to freezing of the exterior drain tube. Using info gained here I took it apart, defrosted everything, unfroze the drain tube using hot salt water. (Salt is also good for killing bacteria, by the way.)

Until reading about these little critters back in the "Customer Service Stories" area I never even guessed they could be coming from INSIDE the refrigerator! Where do they usually breed? What do you do to get rid of them?

Thanks a lot.

DIYGranny

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

They like standing water, they come from drains.
Scott Wolf

#3 DIYGranny

DIYGranny

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Don't drink it

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks. I read some tips on dealing with these critters, which seem to be causing lots of folks around here (Pittsburgh, PA) problems right now.

Here is what has worked for me: Pour about an inch of sweet wine or apple juice into a glass. Add three squirts of dish wash detergent to the wine. Sit the glass near area where you see the most of the fleas. They are attracted to the smell of the wine/juice and get down in there and somehow the detergent must smother them or something.

This has worked REALLY well. Within 24 hours I've noticed none at all in livingroom, where they would bother me during reading or TV watching. Plus no more in that freezer compartment either!

Now if only we could find such an easy solution for these awful "Stink Bugs" (Asian brown marmolated beetle or something like that) which have invaded the entire Western Pennsylvania area once again this Fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics