Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAV8557AWW Still won't spin...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brew Meister

Brew Meister

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Shiner Bock

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

After spending the better part of the last two days reading everything I could find on Maytag washer spins problems, replacing the thrust washer/cam/pulley assembly and still not getting anywhere, I am looking for some expert advice. Here's the usual stats: Washer agitiates fine, but won't spin. Pump is working fine, belt is in good shape. Lid switch is working correctly. Following advice on Appliance Guru I ordered a thrust bearing/pulley/cam replacement kit and assembled it at least 10 times to make sure it was right, but no success. Using just the thin washer under the c-clip as there was no way to get the thick washer in there - even when forcing the shaft out as far as possible it was a tight fit for even the thin washer. Turning the pulley CW, the agitator moves properly. Turning the pulley CCW the agitator moves too but the not the drum! Watching the lower cam when turning the pulley CCW it barely moves off the left stop tab, then turns with the pulley - exerting no force on the thrust bearing. All the while, the drum is locked with the brake engaged. I can force the lower cam CW within the pulley to release the brake and allowing the transmission to turn, but moving it takes a pretty stiff push with a screw driver or pliers. When I release the lower cam it springs back to the left and the drum is locked again. Trying again to turn the pulley CCW, the lower cam just rotates with the pulley as there's no friction or resistance to push the pulley up on to the CAM - everything just spins together in the CCW direction including the agitator. I thought it might be a jammed brake but then I could get the brake to release when I forced the lower cam inside the pulley CW - so now not sure what the issue could be. From what i have read, seems like the agitator shouldn't be turning to CCW with the pulley so that there would be something for the cam to ride up against. Hope that is a good start... Look forward to any help on this!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Did you remove the tub cover and check for foreign objects in between the wash basket and outer tub?

Did you check the motor pivot plate and make sure it's lubricated so the belt has enough tension on it?
Scott Wolf

#3 Brew Meister

Brew Meister

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

No, I didn't check for any objects between the basket and and outer tub becuase once the lower cam is pushed manually to release the brake the drum spins freely. The motor is pivoting and operating normal. The issue is with the cam not engaging with the pulley therefore there's no pressure on the thust bearing. Thanks though for the hints.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Slam-dunk, you got you a bad transmission. Anytime on this model if the agitator moves back and forth when turning in the direction for spin you have a bad transmission and the thrust bearing kit isn't going to be of any help in this case.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Brew Meister

Brew Meister

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Willie! I was thinking it was headed in that direction, but was holding on to a sliver of hope. I checked the pricing on a replacement transmission and it is running around $275. I am not sure it is worth going forward with it. I suspect that there will be a whole assortment of seals and bushings that need to be replaced with the transmission and that would probably drive the costs even higher. It is too bad, I was really looking forward to getting this thing fixed on my own, but at least I learned alot. Thanks!

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Yes, these machines are definitely not worth replacing a transmission on.
Scott Wolf

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

there may be a few Whirlpool direct drive top-loaders (no longer made)
at a few sellers...
depending on your area and or delivery charge
let me know..
had been on sale as low as $249 w/ free shipping within the last year ..
now about $ 400 + delivery various sellers
http://appliantology...d-washer-dryer/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

Yes, these machines are definitely not worth replacing a transmission on.

I totally agree with Scott on this, these were never really a good machine to start with.

My opinion, the only time it's worth repairing one of these if the transmission is bad is if it is under full manufactures warranty.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics