Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Defrost problem - water freezing in freezer bottom, leaking to the outside

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

Kenmore 363-50622000

Water is freezing on the bottom of the freezer and leaking outside. The hole at the back/bottom of the defrost runoff area does not appear to be blocked.

Any ideas why this water is not running out the hole to the pan underneath?
Attached File  004.JPG   79.18KB   10 downloads

Thanks,

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ritz

Ritz

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

The entire area where the drain hole is- to the left and to the right of the hole needs to be completely clear of any ice. the hole may be clear but water that is melting off of the evaporator is dripping over onto the floor of the freezer.
Make sure there is no ice at all and this should solve it. You can also pour a bit of hot water down the drain hole to make sure it is in fact clear.

#3 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

The entire area where the drain hole is- to the left and to the right of the hole needs to be completely clear of any ice. the hole may be clear but water that is melting off of the evaporator is dripping over onto the floor of the freezer.
Make sure there is no ice at all and this should solve it. You can also pour a bit of hot water down the drain hole to make sure it is in fact clear.

The areas left/right were cleared of ice but problem came back.

#4 Tuco

Tuco

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tap Water

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Take a turkey baster or battery fill bulb (they sell them at auto parts stores) . And shoot hot water down the drain hole until you are sure the drain tube is clear of ice or gookus.

#5 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I could pour about 1/2 cup down the hole before it overflowed. Ran a wire down it a few times and then ran hot water to open it up. Now I can pour 16 oz water without it backing up.

thanks,

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

shouldn't back-up at all...
should all drain into Drain Pan for evaporation near the Compressor

1 square = 1 inch
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 jkk

jkk

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

shouldn't back-up at all...
should all drain into Drain Pan for evaporation near the Compressor

Yes; there was a litle bit of dirt on the wire so I'm guessing it was partially clogged. I tried to suck out water when I used the baster but only water came out. I'm guessing whatever was in there (ice or 'gookus') got melted or pushed onto the pan.

I'll check the pan when I pull out the fridge to finish the tile and baseboard around it.

#8 DIYGranny

DIYGranny

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Don't drink it

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

You also can add a tablespoon of salt to your hot water when doing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics