Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

jkk

Defrost problem - water freezing in freezer bottom, leaking to the outside

8 posts in this topic

Kenmore 363-50622000

Water is freezing on the bottom of the freezer and leaking outside. The hole at the back/bottom of the defrost runoff area does not appear to be blocked.

Any ideas why this water is not running out the hole to the pan underneath?

post-12566-0-11986600-1348942828_thumb.j

Thanks,

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The entire area where the drain hole is- to the left and to the right of the hole needs to be completely clear of any ice. the hole may be clear but water that is melting off of the evaporator is dripping over onto the floor of the freezer.

Make sure there is no ice at all and this should solve it. You can also pour a bit of hot water down the drain hole to make sure it is in fact clear.

The entire area where the drain hole is- to the left and to the right of the hole needs to be completely clear of any ice. the hole may be clear but water that is melting off of the evaporator is dripping over onto the floor of the freezer.

Make sure there is no ice at all and this should solve it. You can also pour a bit of hot water down the drain hole to make sure it is in fact clear.

The areas left/right were cleared of ice but problem came back.

Take a turkey baster or battery fill bulb (they sell them at auto parts stores) . And shoot hot water down the drain hole until you are sure the drain tube is clear of ice or gookus.

I could pour about 1/2 cup down the hole before it overflowed. Ran a wire down it a few times and then ran hot water to open it up. Now I can pour 16 oz water without it backing up.

thanks,

shouldn't back-up at all...

should all drain into Drain Pan for evaporation near the Compressor

1 square = 1 inch

Drain-Pan-WR32X1427-00586982.jpg

shouldn't back-up at all...

should all drain into Drain Pan for evaporation near the Compressor

Yes; there was a litle bit of dirt on the wire so I'm guessing it was partially clogged. I tried to suck out water when I used the baster but only water came out. I'm guessing whatever was in there (ice or 'gookus') got melted or pushed onto the pan.

I'll check the pan when I pull out the fridge to finish the tile and baseboard around it.

You also can add a tablespoon of salt to your hot water when doing this.