Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Diagnosing Bad Drum Bearings in a Front Loading Washer

washer front-load drum bearings

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Bad drum bearings in a front loading washer can manifest in a variety of ways. In this case, the customer called with the complaint that her Whirlpool Duet (Kenmore-labelled) washer was stopping during the cycle and, upon further questioning, also showing the F06 error code. The F06 error code is a tachometer error which, as it turns out in this case, was actually being caused by the drum bearings binding and interfering with the drum rotation. I could hear the bad drum bearings when I ran the washer in a spin cycle.

Bad bearings can make a variety of noises depending on exactly how they are failing; you could hear a roaring noise like a jet engine to clanking noise like in this video. But they all have one thing in common: they originate from the back of the washer and manifest audibly during the spin cycle. Had she reported that the washer was making this noise during spin, I could have saved her a service call fee!

BTW, this particular washer is only 5 years old. Her daughter has the exact same washer, same age, and reports the same problem. An all-too common story with the Whirlpool Duet line of front loading washers.

You can find whatever appliance part you need through the parts search box right here at The Appliantology Academy. No harm in buying and trying with our 365-day, no-hassle return policy, even on electrical parts that were installed!

Subscribe to our FREE, award-winning newsletter, Appliantology: The Oracle of Appliance Enlightenment ==> http://newsletter.appliantology.org and download your free report on appliance brand recommendations! Every issue is jam-packed with appliance repair tips and inside information direct from the Samurai's fingertips to your engorged and tingling eyeballs.

The Appliance Guru provides prompt, convenient service in the following towns in New Hampshire: New London, Elkins, Wilmot, Springfield, Georges Mills, Sunapee, Mt. Sunapee, Newbury, Sutton, Bradford, Warner, Grantham, and the Eastman Community. Visit our website for more info and a discount coupon on your next service call ==> http://applianceguru.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

Did you determine the age of this machine yourself or did the customer tell you it was only 5 years old?

The reason I ask is because I see that it is a HE3 machine and I believe those were the very first of the Whirlpool Duet built Kenmore series of these machines, (I have a HE3T machine that fell off a truck from Sears, It was brand new and I believe we have had it for at least 8 to 9 years now, (no problems what so ever and bearings are still good and tight and quite).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

Customer told me it was 5 years old; I didn't bother verifying by the serial number. But even if it were 8 or 9 years old, that's a short bearing life. Glad yours is holding up.

Are you on a well or city water? I have a theory that the well water in this area sets up a galvanic cell inside the washer and accelerates corrosion of drum support spiders and bearing seals. Every case of failed drum bearings or drum spiders I've seen up here has been at houses on a well; have not seen one case of this with a house on town water (which is softened to remove the various minerals in the water we have here, like manganese and iron).

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

My mom's house is up in the country on a hill, on a well not city water. Has two of the large cartridge filters, (I don't know what micron size they are first one is a larger micron size and next in line a smaller size. I think she changes the filters every 6 months to a year, not really sure).

We never use fabric softner and very seldom bleach, she uses liquid detergent, I use powder. Also have left the door ajar when done. We haven't had any mold problems on the door boot and no smell problems at all.

Never have had to do anything to it so of coarse have no idea at this point what the spider looks like after this amount of time to know if it has anything to do with well water or not.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Jonathan Then

Jonathan Then

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

That sounds terrible. 5 years and I bet that machine was close to $800-$1200 brand new... such a shame. is there any preventative maintenance that could have been done?

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

The machine in the video is definitely more than 5 years old - as Willie has identified, it is the first "Hetties" that Sears carried - the production year is built into the model number of those, not including the prefix (110) the second digit in from each end of the number provides the production year. This is true of all the Whirlpool built Kenmore products.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

... the second digit in from each end of the number provides the production year.

just for laundry ?
so... 110.x3xxxx9x would be 1993
I've also heard their fridges were:
106.xx5xxxxx = 25 cu/ft fridge

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 03 October 2012 - 02:15 PM.
corrected

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Ranges and fridges as well 880 x4xxxx0x = 2004 106 x2xxxx1x = 2012
the cu ft size is there as well, I can't remember how though (never really mattered to me) I think it is the 3rd and 4th digit or something
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

yes, 3rd digit
corrected earlier post

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

The machine in the video is definitely more than 5 years old - as Willie has identified, it is the first "Hetties" that Sears carried - the production year is built into the model number of those, not including the prefix (110) the second digit in from each end of the number provides the production year. This is true of all the Whirlpool built Kenmore products.

Good info, kdog! The model number on this particular washer is 110.44832202. So the production year on this one is "aught-four?"

#11 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

good info kdog .one of things that's cool to know

but it did not work for my washer

1922 or 2022 ?

might be really old ? or ahead of it's time ?

it was really made around 1972
SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yes, that's a good point - it only applies to machines beginning early '80 s

#13 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

Too bad they'll just change the encryption again some time.

A model number is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets its hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot...
Signifying nothing.
First, do no harm.

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

:spacecraft:

#15 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

... Too bad they'll just change the encryption again some time.

GE® imagination at work

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

GE® imagination at work

Shouldn't that be, "Kenmore: imagination at work" since we're talking about Sears' model number encryption scheme?

#17 tonytech81

tonytech81

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lime @ cold Tea

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

is there out there a bering kit for this like the cabrio and a special tool for the job or no

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm glad Whirlpool has wised up and made a one piece outer tub on the front load washers. Trying to get all those clamps to get the 2 halves of the outer tub together is a bitch. Say what you want about the original Maytag Neptune front load washers. Yeah sure, they were lemons from the start, but they were hell of a lot easier to repair than the Whirlpool Duet front load washers.

Scott Wolf

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: washer, front-load, drum, bearings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics