Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Electrical Outlet doesn't work

obrien1984

I have a rental property with a duplex 110 outlet that does not work. I thought it would be as simple as replacing the outlet, but now I'm not so sure.

I have confirmed that all the other outlets on the same breaker are at least getting power by plugging in a lamp (unless there's a real tricky one that I don't know about...). Tested the bad outlet with a multimeter, hot-to-neutral, hot-to-ground, neutral-to-ground... all nothing.

Inside the outlet: one hot, one neutral, one ground wire. I even used a non-contact voltage tester pen to see if any of the wires inside were live. I touched it to the casing of the hot and neutral, but it didn't beep. I don't know if this is a sufficient test, and I also don't know how to properly test a wire with a multimeter to see if it's hot.

Before calling an electrician, I want to see if there's anything else I can check.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• obrien1984

• kdog

• Budget Appliance Repair

• RegUS_PatOff

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible that the outlet is controlled by a nearby light switch on the wall ?

I have several such outlets in my home.

If you are not seeing voltage at that outlet, you may need to trace the branch to locate a break or disconnect in the connecting wiring - the connection in the outlet previous to that one may have a poor connection, or the wire between damaged

OK, I'll give it a try. This is in a 120 year old house, so things are laid out kind of weird. The electrical is new as of 1999, but I'm not sure how to tell where this outlet is in the series. I guess my best bet is to just check every outlet on the circuit.

What am I looking for specifically? A wire loose from another outlet?

(And thanks!)

Edited by obrien1984

Yes, or loose wire nuts in gang boxes

If you can visually follow the wire using the non-contact indicator - you can determine the portion of wiring where the voltage disappears

inside the non-working outlet,

see if you can tell which direction the wires are coming from,

That may tell you which direction to look for the previous outlet.

Well, I tested and visually inspected everything. I'm thinking that this outlet has never actually been hooked up to the circuit.

(Unless I need to test the switches. Haven't touched those, but I guess they're part of the circuit)

Edited by obrien1984

Also check for any outlets that have a GFI built into them, this non-working outlet maybe chained off a GFI outlet that has tripped.