Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How to remove melted plastic item in oven

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DIYGranny

DIYGranny

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Don't drink it

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I haven't seen this addressed here. It happened to me just the other day, so thought I'd post about it.

In my case it was a green plastic lid from one of those plastic food container sets - like tupperware, but it wasn't tupperware. I was going to bake a cake and after getting out all ingredients, it is my habit to light the oven right before I start to mix the ingredients. That way, just about the time I am done mixing, the oven is ready.

Well, standing right there in the kitchen, the smell of the melting plastic hit me. I opened the oven door and immediately saw the melting lid. AND it was situated in a manner that liquid plastic was running down through two of the "slots" into the area below.

I immediately turned off the oven. Left the door open. Turned on exhaust fan and opened kitchen window. If fumes were any heavier, I would have brought a fan into the room to remove the fumes out through the window, but they were not all that bad and went away promptly. (I would NOT stand around breathing in these fumes, by the way.)

After 10-15 minutes, when the interior walls and bottom of the oven were still warm to the touch, I removed the racks, then used a razor scraper tool and it just lifted entire blobs of plastic up. I carefully scraped off all remaining residue on oven bottom and then used a barely wetted Brillo pad to make sure all was gone. Down into the holes I could stick a finger and remove thin "strings" of melted plastic that extended down into blobs of melted plastic, located on a metal panel about 2" below the bottom of the oven.

I saw two big screws at the back of the oven floor, one on either side, and thought I might need to remove the oven bottom to get to the last of the blobs of plastic. But decided to try just sticking a sharp paring knife into a "blob" to see what happened. Glory be, it lifted right up, stuck to the point of the knife. I was able to remove all of the rest of the plastic by using the knife technique.

DIYGranny

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

Ten Commandments for Reading Appliance Model Numbers smile.png

arrow_038.gifarrow_038.gifarrow_038.gif

The Lower oven cover can be easily removed by removing those screws at the back and tilting the panel up at the rear, exposing the goodies beneath

May resemble this:
http://www.repaircli...6495901/1195929

Bottom-Panel-316495901-01029830.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Nice work Granny. Melted plastic in ovens ... melted crayons and gum in dryers ... lots of fun getting this stuff out.
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

melted mini-Tootsie rolls in a VCR...
"... but, I thought it was hungry"

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Ya need a new career Granny? You have already demonstrated more capacity for critical thought than alot of the parts changing monkeys passing themselves off as appliance repair technicians around my town...:-)
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics