Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
pzion

Whirlpool WTW5505SQ1

76 posts in this topic

There's a whirlpool model WTW5505SQ1 for sale that I put a bid of $150 for. Thought to check what you think of this model? Wasn't able to find out if it's a direct drive or not. It's supposedly in "excellent" condition.

Thanks.

Edited by pzion

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

That's the good ol' direct drive Whirlpool :thumbsup:

We got it (for $200). Would you know what the weight is? I still have to pick it up. Also, is there a repair manual?

Thanks.

That's one of the lightest washing machines around. One man, an appliance dolly, and a truck with a ramp or lift, or two guys to lift it on and off a pickup truck. There's a repair manual for it in the downloads section of this website.

Edited by pzion

(Don't know if you missed this - I've got the machine sitting on its side in the van and it might not get moved upright for 12 hours or more.)

One other question -- we've got a van and would have to lay the machine on its side. I saw in the manual for a belt drive whirlpool that it said to not let it sit on its side for too long because the oil would drain out of the motor (?). Was wondering if there's any problem with putting this machine on its side?

If you must lay it on its side you should clean the top of the transmission cover and put a small strip of packing tape over the small vent hole that is in the middle of the little bump on the top of the transmission cover.

And when you set it back up right make sure the suspension skate plate between the tub and base assembly is in its correct position, (take a look at how it is before laying it on its side and especially before driving with it laying on its side, so you know how it should look when in correct position).

We finally got the machine hooked up and did a test run. It makes a loud clanking sound when changing between cycles. I assume it's not supposed to do that.

when it goes into spin it will make a loud clunk noise and it shifts into spin

... and it didn't make that noise, before the move, when you tried the Washer ?

Are you saying it's supposed to do that?

Are you saying it's supposed to do that?

no, but trying to determine if it was due to the tipping and the move,

OR if it got worn-out or was defective before the sale.

Post YouTube video ?

all the direct drive washers i have ever worked on make a clunk/clank or some sort of noise when going into spin, just one clank not for the hole cycle, just as the gear engages, some are louder then others but i never worry about it, but regus is right and we need to make sure the suspension parts didnt get out of place when you moved it

Edited by sh2sh2

I was very careful when moving it and transporting it. I'll try and figure out how to send a video. (Our camera is able to do it but I've never done it before.)

Thanks.

Edited by pzion

hard to tell..

if you could video the Agitator / Tub

(lid Switch by-passed)

Did you mean showing the agitation only or agitation to spin? In the video there were no clothes in the washer - just water.

whatever, whenever the "noise" happens ...

Listen closely to the vid starting at about 1:07 ... I hear squeaking noises of spin acceleration/oscillation during what should be a neutral drain period. There's a "clunk" at the start of drain, as if the neutral drain mechanism is slipping directly into spin.

Reason is the unit is in delicate (slow or middle speed), and the agitator has not been "loaded" enough to reset the spin pawl - that clunk you hear is pretty much normal for those

Reason is the unit is in delicate (slow or middle speed), and the agitator has not been "loaded" enough to reset the spin pawl - that clunk you hear is pretty much normal for those

So it seems like this machine is ok?

He's right, it did not neutral drain.

Let it agitate longer, 6 mins, leading into drain. There's a minimum agitate time required for the tranny's mechanism to preset itself for neutral drain when the motor pauses and restarts in reverse. It'll slip on into spin if the agitation period isn't long enough. 6 mins should be way longer than necessary, to insure neutral drain will trigger.