Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool WTW5505SQ1

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Reason is the unit is in delicate (slow or middle speed), and the agitator has not been "loaded" enough to reset the spin pawl - that clunk you hear is pretty much normal for those
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Here's the video with the lid open. The "clank" sounded louder in person than on the video. (I edited the video to make it shorter.)

#23 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Reason is the unit is in delicate (slow or middle speed), and the agitator has not been "loaded" enough to reset the spin pawl - that clunk you hear is pretty much normal for those

So it seems like this machine is ok?

#24 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

He's right, it did not neutral drain.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#25 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Let it agitate longer, 6 mins, leading into drain. There's a minimum agitate time required for the tranny's mechanism to preset itself for neutral drain when the motor pauses and restarts in reverse. It'll slip on into spin if the agitation period isn't long enough. 6 mins should be way longer than necessary, to insure neutral drain will trigger.

#26 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

The sound is normal - throw a load in and run the whole cycle, see if it neutral drains then
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#27 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

How can I tell when it's supposed to go into neutral drain?

#28 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Actually -- found the answer: http://fixitnow.com/...drain-problems/

#29 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

We did a regular cycle. It did a fast agitation for about 7 or 8 minutes and then a slow agitation for another 3 or 4 minutes. Then there was a pause. It then went into a slow spin and drain until most of the water was out and then a fast spin.

Is the slow spin the neutral drain or is it defective?

This is a clip of it.

Thanks for the help.

#30 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Is the slow spin the neutral drain or is it defective?

It should not spin during drain. There's a problem with the neutral assembly. Possibly, the pawl stud has sheared off. You would need to take the gearcase apart to get to the problem. Older models did work this way and were called direct-into-spin.

Eric

#31 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

pzion,

Neutral drain is exactly that ... no agitation and no spin ... just the motor running to pump out the water.

The motor is reversible. Runs one direction for agitation, reverses for drain and spin.

The pump runs at all times, in whichever direction the motor is running. Agitate direction, it forces the water back into the tub outlet. Reverse (drain & spin) direction, the water pumps out of the tub and through the drain hose.

During agitation, the neutral drain mechanism (cams and pawls and latches and such) in the transmission presets so that when the motor next pauses briefly and restarts in the reverse direction, the tranny goes into neutral drain mode.

When drain is finished (one increment on the timer, 2 minutes), the motor pauses, the neutral drain latch mechanically releases, and the motor restarts in the same (reverse) direction to engage spin. Of course, draining also occurs to pump away the water extracted from the clothes.

The pause between agitate and drain is required both for the motor to coast to a stop before reversing, and for the neutral drain latch to engage.

The pause between drain and spin is required for the neutral drain latch to release.

The neutral drain parts in the transmission wear over time such that it may not preset during agitation, causing spin to begin immediately when the motor reverses.

Very early direct-drive machines (the first couple/three years) did not have the neutral drain feature. There was a pause between agitate and drain for the motor to coast to a stop, but spin (intentionally) started immediately upon the motor's reverse.

Edited by DADoESTX, 19 October 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#32 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

The only 2 reasons why they changed to a neutral drain is so all the dirt settles to the bottom of the wash tub, rather than flinging it back over the clothes and to reduce the "load" on the motor. If this machine was a belt drive and it went to direct into spin with a full tub of water, water would splash over the top of the tub, and it might even make the motor go out on overload because there is no idler pulley, clutch or motor pivoting plate to make the belt slip until all the water is out of the tub.

Another thing they could have done rather than messing with gearcase is to use an electric remote drain pump that drains the water out before the tub starts spinning like Frigidaire and GE have done for years.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 19 October 2012 - 12:21 PM.

Scott Wolf

#33 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Spin Pawl
http://www.repaircli...rtDetail/670561

Cam-63341-00825645.jpg

part of assembly # 26
W0704409-00008.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#34 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Very early direct-drive machines (the first couple/three years) did not have the neutral drain feature. There was a pause between agitate and drain for the motor to coast to a stop, but spin (intentionally) started immediately upon the motor's reverse.

Is there a way to be sure that this machine wasn't one of the early ones?

#35 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Is there a way to be sure that this machine wasn't one of the early ones?

Whirlpool WTW5505SQ1 c.2007
and parts diagram of your Washer (above)

#36 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

I believe the only ones that were not neutral drain where the first year or two when these direct drives were first introduced in 1982 & 1983.

I've seen many that should be neutral drain and aren't, just like yours and if that is the only problem I say let it go as long as it still spins the water out of the clothes good the clutch is fine and it works just like one of the original non-neutral drain models.

It's not really that much harder on the motor but does put more wear on the clutch since it has to slip longer while it is spinning at the same time the water is draining but the clutches do hold up very well, (a number 10 flat washer put into one of the clutch lining spring cups will give a slipping clutch many more years of life).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#37 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Is there something showing how to rebuild the transmission on this machine? There seems to have been a video on it at http://fixitnow.com/...drain-problems/ but it now says that it was removed by the user.

Edited by pzion, 20 October 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#38 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

some info
http://appliantology...ansmision-info/

#39 pzion

pzion

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I see that there is a neutral drain kit available. Is it likely that this is just a problem with the spin pawl?

#40 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

The neutral drain kit will generally always fix the problem.

It has been mentioned by someone a while back ago in this forum when this same discussion came up that the spin pawl is the part that wears out causing the neutral drain to go directly into spin instead of neutral draining properly.

Quite some time ago I ordered just a spin pawl to test this theory but have never taken the time to open a transmission up to install it and test the theory. I have no doubt that just replacing the spin pawl will correct the problem, (it's pretty much the only part of the neutral drain kit that seems to be a wear point).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Understanding the Neutral Drain Function in a Whirlpool Direct-Drive Washer Transmission

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 19 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

The neutral drain in the Whirlpool direct-drive washer puts the transmission into neutral while the tub is draining.  The purpose is to save wear and tear on the clutch, drive coupler, and motor.  While it's function and operation are simple and easy to understand, it can still be confusing for folks.  

Chief Master Appliantologist DADoESTX...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics