Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Refigerator issues GE Model GSS25LGMB BB

water filter broken refrigerator food freezing Temperature indicator not on

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Some history, a couple of days ago, found water dispenser was not working, found top top two shelves of the refrigerator the items were freezing, Water filter was shattered, and digital display was blank. Found blend door broken, parts on order. Should solve refrigerator food freezing and hopefully will solve blocked water dispenser.

Need help as to why digital temperature display has stopped working, had been working prior to the above problems.

Thank you in advance.

UPdate:
If the temperture display is not working (assuming so since the display is not lit), is it safe to assume that the system is not keeping the proper temperatures. The freezer is still frozen and the refrigerator is still cold even with the blend door removed. As a note some duct tape has been placed over the port to the freeezer to minimize how much cold enters the refrigerator. Hope this is ok to do as I can't think of anything else to do until the parts arrive.

Edited by Haydad, 07 October 2012 - 12:00 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

... why digital temperature display has stopped working,.

blank display ?
or wrong temperatures ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

RegUS No display. My original post has been updated to address this issue and a concern that it may cause other issues.

Thanks

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

do you need the service manual ?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

No dispenser or temperature display is a classic symptom of a bad muthaboard ==> http://www.repaircli...5X10942/1531075

Main-Control-Board-WR55X10942-01091474.j

Muthaboard reference here:

gallery_4_4_340323.jpg

gallery_4_4_163965.jpg

#6 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. Was I wrong to assume since the blend door was broken and the refrigerator side was freezing that the water flow to the water dispenser was probably frozen as well?

Is this board on the inside or out side? Is a flow chart available that shows what signals are to be where and when on this board?

If the temperature gauge is not lit does that mean that the system will not cool/freeze properly?

Since system has not cycled for awhile the temperatures were checked freezer is reading 3.2 degrees and refrig is 59.3. I assumed I closed down the opening from the freezer to the Refig too much. So it has been opened up to see if getting the refrig colder will start the recycling process.

Thoughts?

One more thing, I'm suppose to leave today for 3 days..is this a bad idea, considering the refrigerator issue?

Thanks again

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. Was I wrong to assume since the blend door was broken and the refrigerator side was freezing that the water flow to the water dispenser was probably frozen as well?

Probably not and no that re-read your post, it's more likely that you need the damper assembly ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GSS25LGMBBB

Damper-WR49X10091-00997614.jpg

Use the information I posted to check the voltage to the damper motor and see if the damper is opening and closing. May also be stuck with frost.

Can also check the voltage to the temperature control board. If it's getting voltage from the muthaboard, then replace the temperature display board ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GSS25LGMBBB

Temperature-Control-Board-WR55X10172-008

#8 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

The damper motor is working as the door brok off again when it was put back in today.

Where do I find these boards?

Thank you.

#9 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Update: last night it was turned off for a while. Remember that the water filter had been removed and it did not have a cap installed. After awhile water started, freely, coming out of the water filter port. The water was turned off. During the time the system was on and the water was on the unit did not make any ice, ice tray was empty, in addition to the water dispenser not working. Ice jam must have melted. Plugged it back in last night and this morning everything seemed to be working, with the exception of the blend door which had been removed, and the Temperature display is now working again. The actual measured temperature, on the refrigerator side is coolder that what the system was set for and that is probably due to the blend door being removed. Freezer temp is -3.5 degrees which is where it was set. Seems that the temperature gauge is also functioning properly. With the water filter removed and the water on, should water come out of the filter port?

What else maybe causing this problem?

thank you again.

Edited by Haydad, 08 October 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

The damper motor is working as the door brok off again when it was put back in today.

Could you elaborate on this, please?

Also, elsewhere you refer to a "blend" door-- do you mean the damper door?

Where do I find these boards?

The Muthaboard is on the very back of the fridge, behind a metal cover plate.

When you look at the temperature display inside the refrigerator, you're looking at the temperature control board.

PMed you the service manual for this refrigerator. :thumbsup:

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Musta missed something.................What is a 'blend door' ???............The filter head has a small plunger in it...When the plunger is depressed , water will flow, either to the I/M or the in-door dispenser.............
( have a filter or filter by-pass cap installed ).....So it could be that your plunger is stuck up into the filter head ................ When you had the unit unplugged, you basically just restarted the main board, but you just wait, it is gonna start acting up on you again.....Yur gonna wake up to a board that has it's own mind again.................... did the damper door operate O.K. during the diagnostic test???

#12 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Blend door - the door, damper, that opens and closes to adjust the amount of cold air coming from the freezer area. Sorry, an automotive term I'm use to for a door that does the same thing.

Damper door was not installed as it was broken so the whole assembly was removed and another one was ordered earlier and it was just installed. Which brings up another issue. The original Damper assembly had a vent on each side, plus a hole in the front that blew cold air into the area where the lights are mounted. The new one only has one vent on one side and no hole in the front. This hole is covered up with styrofoam. So that leaves only one vent on the side allowing air in the refrig section. I'm thinking that styrofoam blocking the front port should be removed. Is that correct?

Thanks for your assistance.

#13 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Certified Tech group 51 -in your post is a reference to a diagnostic test, don't know what this is for my unit. So none has been done. All testing is by observation and assistance from folks like you. If there is a diagnostic test I can run I'm all for it. I did notice when playing with the temperature display when a button was pressed for a time, this was when there was no display, it chirped a few times and flashed the number 8. Does that tell us anything?

Edited by Haydad, 08 October 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,956 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

A blend door mixes two or more air streams, such as heated air and inside air, and produces and new, blended, output stream. There is no blending going on here, there is only the cold air stream from the freezer which is throttled, or dampened, by the damper door. Hence it is incorrect to call it a blend door. They are not the same thing and are not interchangeable terms.

The diagnostics are in the manual I PMed you.

#15 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Fermented Grand Master - yes it is the damper door, blend door my definition, now I know better.

"Damper motor working... This door broke a year or so ago and I was able to super glue it. Worked until this week. Tried super glue again and the door broke again when it first moved from Point A to Point B.

I was able to find the Muthaboard Board and the temperature boards. Looking at the Muthaboard there is one small component, U6, that has 3 legs on each side and is black, at least most of it. One corner is red and I'm thinking that is not how it is suppose to look because all other components that look similar, but have more legs, are all black. Any thoughts?

As mentioned to CTG 51 above the new Damper assembly was installed today, since I knew that was broken and had to be replaced.

Regarding the Damper Assemble the replacement was just installed. A follow up questions on the new unit - The original Damper assembly had a vent on each side, plus a hole in the front that blew cold air into the area where the lights are mounted. The new one only has one vent on one side and no hole in the front. This hole is covered up with styrofoam. So that leaves only one vent on the side allowing air in the refrig section. I'm thinking that styrofoam blocking the front port should be removed. Is that correct?

#16 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

The manufacturer has replaced part number WR60X10052
with this item, part number WR49X10091
Refrigerator air inlet cover/damper kit with fan motor.
Damper and fan assembly have been updated to prevent freezing in the refrigerator.

new Damper should come with instructions

damper assembly ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GSS25LGMBBB

Posted Image

#17 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

Do NOT remove the styrafoam. it is there for a reason.
Scott Wolf

#18 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

UPDATE: Replaced the Damper assembly Monday AM and all is working well. Freezer and Refrig are keeping their correct temperatures. After it was stable for a few days a new water filter was installed and it immedietely began to leak quite a bit. Remember that during this process the original water filter froze and shattered.

What maybe causing this leak?

Thank you.

#19 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

does it leak with the Bypass Plug installed ?
May be a bad Filter Head Assembly
http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1038637

Water-Filter-Bypass-Plug-WR02X11705--008

http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1057398

Water-Filter-Housing-WR17X11618--0082192

#20 Haydad

Haydad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

If there is nothing attached to the filter head it leaks and it appears to come from above the filter head. A Water Sentinel filter was installed and it leaked right through the leak slot which is part of this filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics