Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Recall GE dishwasher fails for the second time what to do?

GE racall dishwater 2nd fail

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paschal_old

paschal_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Here we go:

GE dishwaher model number GSD 4020Z04BB serial FV78388B. This dishwasher was purchased in 2001 but not put in service until 2003. I think it was early 2008 it started to trip the breaker. I found the recall notice, and after electing to take the repair instead of the rebate, due to the doubling in price of the Profile line, service guy came out and replaced the failed harness, and of course they blamed the failure on the rinse agent although a bottle of jet-dry was furnished with the new unit, which it has a dispenser for. There are no other appliances added that would exceed or come close to the breaker rating, which is #12 going to a 20 amp GFCI breaker in one of the two 200 amp power panels.

Looks like history is repeating itself again.......... The breaker failure when the dishwasher goes to the heated dry cycle....... My understaning of the previous failure was the high amount combo of very wet steam and heat interacting with disintegrated harness wire insulation, and in some cases causing many documented fires.

In order to separate any failure on my part from GE, tommorrow I will pick up and replace, if in stock, a new GFCI breaker, as they are known to fail and trip at the end of their life cycle, which is actually a good thing. However, I would only give it one shot and be standing there with a fire extiguisher just in case.

So......forgive me for so much information, but never been called out for giving as much as possible here..........

The original recall, as I just checked from 2007 is still being honored, but could find nothing about secondary failures. I have not called GE yet, and will not until I change the breaker. Assuming the same problem exists after breaker replacement, I will need a course of action. Should I go after GE to correct the problem a second time and spend many days or possibly weeks.....(up until a few days ago still good on cosmetics and doing a good job washing dishes).....or just give up and buy a new dishwasher, and if so reccomendations on reliable and quiet running replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Causing fires!? Get that piece of junk the hell out of the house!
First, do no harm.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

the problem is the GFCI
Dishwasher should be on a regular Breaker
Kitchen GFCI's only required for counter-top appliances / outlets

Garbage disposals, microwaves, dishwashers and refrigerators do not require GFCI outlets.
Read more: Residential GFCI Requirements | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz28rDSmVej

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,034 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Movie time!

#5 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

I second that.NO GFI.
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

Get that piece of junk the hell out of the house!

I second this
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Is there any appliance GE can build right these days without having a safety recall ? In the 90s it was their refrigerators with the rotary compressors, they have their gas dryers recalled, the front load washers recalled, and 3 separate recalls on 3 different platforms of dishwashers. In the early 90s it was the builder grade dishwashers with the heated dry switches, then the rinse aid dispenser recall and now the heater elements.

Oh, not a safety recall, but don't foget all the problems they had with water lines freezing in their side by side refrigerators, their control board issues with the refrigerators, the problems with their thermistors, and the defrost heater issues.

Also, not blaming GE, but their over the range microwave hood combos with their magnetron issues. I blame Samsung for that since they made most of GE's microwave ovens.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 11 October 2012 - 06:17 PM.

Scott Wolf

#8 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Engineers these days, the few that are left employed stateside, are under tremendous pressure to take cost out of the product. They just can't do their jobs right. I've been in the middle of it for years now, though never with an appliance manufacturer. The worst I've seen was with Stanley Door, I'm surprised any of them actually function. And Carrier Corporation is horrible now, too.

So often this is a false economy because failed product is not cheap, in fact much more expensive than good product.
First, do no harm.

#9 paschal_old

paschal_old

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Put a regular 20 amp breaker in and it still popped when the heating element kicked in for dry cycle. GE is now involved with newer units on recall with the same symptom starting fires. To relate my decision of action to other posts in this thread......If Jack Welch was still president of GE, I might try to resolve this, or repair the machine. I still have the old harness that was removed, and I will rip the recall harness out prior to pickup of the the unit, and through some pulled strings will submit both to a lab to find if they are the same which I strongly suspect. (I will cut away some samples to insure integrety.) Under the leadership of Imelt, I have no trust or confidence in the brand, as was my decision also on a new washer 2 1/2 years ago. By the way, bought the top of the line Speed Queen top loader, which is STILL under warranty and is still the best, most quiet washing machine I have ever had and after 30 months and some load abuse never once out of balance, reccomended by many on the forums here, and I still thank you guys for that.

That out of the way, back to the dishwasher again and again referring to other posts in this thread......Like a washing machine, this is not new technolology. In the 1970's 80's when I owned many houses I could buy a dishwasher, never have it serviced and expect from past experience to have it run trouble free for ten years, almost regardless of brand.

What I have found myself doing on this failure is searching recalls for dishwasher brands that have not had a recall for starting fires or burning houses to the ground. Many brands were eliminated. Further searches for brands regarding easy access to repair parts easily eliminated one additional brand. Further searches regarding brands service people hate to work on. Another search on brands known to leak yielded surprise on a high end brand. My findings can not obviously be viewed as scientific, so from a courtesy basis there will be no brand bashing. Sad to say but choosing a dishwasher is like choosing a politition to vote for. Pick the one that is least likely to do do damage to your houshold, either finacial or structural.........My self -run crash course, and exhausting internet searches for two days have related that quality in most cases does not increase with price. If it does a good job washing your dishes, it is a bonus............fortunately that has not been the case yet with other appliances in the past, but we may be headed that way.

I found a scratch and dent Whirlpool with full warranty, that if still available Tuesday (payday) I will purchase at half price if still available, upper middle class unit. I could not find any fire hazard recalls on Whirlpool. I also relate well to the fact that I have some Sears, made by Whirlpool appliances that have failed, yet I repaired myself with help from you forum folks, and have not had a second failure from the replacement part. I hate to have my new policy that I now no longer can start my dishwasher when I leave to go to work in the morning knowing my dogs are alone in the house and the alarm system will not aid in their survival. Trust me, I am not a nut job. I have always kept a fairly large fire extinguisher on the floor in the kitchen. I now keep two. They will only give you about 15 seconds each to put out a fire....maybe a third is in order....

#10 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:01 AM

I think you are doing the right thing. For washer/dryer I'd go to craigslist, but for dishwasher I'd buy new; so a sale item like that is just what the doctor ordered.
First, do no harm.

#11 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

NO appliances should ever be run when you are not home, except your refrigerator. PERIOD. End of discussion.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics